Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
4.x
Lightroom Version
6.14 [1149743]
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I'm using the option 'Second Copy' during importing files.

But I don't know how to delete become obsolete files? I mean is LR aware of the existence of those files? Do I have to delete those files inside LR, if so where can I find the location in 'Library Module'?

Or can I go straight into Explorer (Windows OS), -> Drivelettter\folder\subfolder (date-stamped) and remove the redundant files.

With regards, Martin

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
After writing those "second copy" files, Lightroom forgets all about them, so you'll need to delete them using Explorer.

That said, they aren't a good backup for your images. The directory structure they are in does not match the directory structure that their Lightroom-maintained counterparts are in, so trying to restore them in case of disaster would be a very difficult process. The second copy process is meant to insure you have a second copy on disk long enough to properly back up your images and to feel safe in reformatting your card.

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Once created, Lightroom has no knowledge of those "Second Copy" files....so to delete them you must do it yourself using Finder/Explorer.

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Delete them yourself, once you are sure you have a proper back of the photos you want to keep.

Status
Not open for further replies.