• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Import Handle 'Second Copy'?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
4.x
Lightroom Version Number
6.14 [1149743]
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I'm using the option 'Second Copy' during importing files.

But I don't know how to delete become obsolete files? I mean is LR aware of the existence of those files? Do I have to delete those files inside LR, if so where can I find the location in 'Library Module'?

Or can I go straight into Explorer (Windows OS), -> Drivelettter\folder\subfolder (date-stamped) and remove the redundant files.

With regards, Martin

After writing those "second copy" files, Lightroom forgets all about them, so you'll need to delete them using Explorer.

That said, they aren't a good backup for your images. The directory structure they are in does not match the directory structure that their Lightroom-maintained counterparts are in, so trying to restore them in case of disaster would be a very difficult process. The second copy process is meant to insure you have a second copy on disk long enough to properly back up your images and to feel safe in reformatting your card.

Once created, Lightroom has no knowledge of those "Second Copy" files....so to delete them you must do it yourself using Finder/Explorer.

Delete them yourself, once you are sure you have a proper back of the photos you want to keep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back