• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Half my photo turns green !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rhubarbandcustard

Every so often some of my photos get completely ruined by lightroom processing. Its always either one quarter or one half which messes up. Here is an example. I shoot exclusively in RAW. Lightroom 2.2 (i think it did it with 1 aswell! Mac, osx 1'.4 , canon 5D.

Does anyone have any ideas why this happens and how to correct it ? I think its happening more regularly and have lost a few important images !

Thanks

IMG_2564.jpg

Hi rhubarbandcustard, welcome to the forum!

I'm sorry to say that's a corrupted file, and whilst vaguely possible, it's pretty unlikely that Lightroom is the cause. What makes you think that LR is the cause?

The usual suspects are dodgy card reader or cable as the prime suspect, followed by a dying hard drive and problem RAM.

Hello !
the reason i think its LR is that if i'm lucky enough to have the files still on my memory card, i can re import it and it gets iported without a problem. The photo is sometimes ok for quite a while , then gets corrupted while previewed in LR. I think it is in the RAW development becasue the file looks identical in Adobe Bridge. And yet the initial preview / snapshot is 'normal' for those 2 seconds before the RAW adjustments show up.
???

You could be right, however the initial preview that you see is the embedded preview from the camera, which is tucked away at the beginning of the file and is therefore not usually affected by the corruption. LR and Bridge then read the raw data to build a proper preview, at which point the file starts to look corrupted.

I won't say it's definitely NOT Lightroom, but I'd look seriously into other possibilities first.

For a start, in the LR import dialog, set it to Render Standard Previews. That'll read the raw data right from the start, giving you chance to check that the file isn't corrupted before you wipe the cards.

I had the same issue turn up today while looking through some scanned photos. These photos were scanned in on a Nikon scanner last summer but i haven't done anything with them until i wanted to keyword them today.

I had the same issue with 5'% of the photo going bad (vertically). I have copies backed up and they show none of these same issues when copied over the damaged ones into LR.

This seems to be a random LR processing issues.

All of these scanned files are jpegs.

It will be interesting to see how this thread goes. I have had a few problems too. I've been assuming it had to do with a dying hard drive. If they had been important photos I would likely be more concerned.

rhubarbandcustard, I've been checking into this further. Adobe have been looking into the cases of some corrupted files, but every one they've checked to date has not been LR's fault - it's usually hardware issues. Ian Lyons (Adobe U2U) pointed me back in the direction of this U2U thread where some of the LR team were involved in the discussions - makes an interesting read. http://www.adobeforums.com/webx?128@@.59b526e'

Corrupt files not so corrupt ...

Hi there !!

I still am getting many of my files with entire quarters or halved completely ruined as in the exampleposted above. More and more so and its now beginning to really annoy me. :oops:

I'm also getting the problem with files I've had for years, and been working on in LR in the past - so not a card reader or import problem...

So I've done a little experiment... I took a file which seemed corrupt. Went to show in finder. Opened the file with CS3 - no problems - Raw file was totally ok and editable. I then deleted the old file from the catalogue (but not from hard drive) and reimported the same file which I edited in adobe raw. Bingo - I had my file back.

The only conclusion I can make from this is that it is nothing to do t=with importing, card readers, faulty hard drives (or hardware for that matter).
The problem is with Lightroom itself.

And pleeeeasse - from the number of other posts in different areas... its about time it was fixed !

Any more thoughts ???

Also, my LR crashes constantly. I have to re'start. I'm running low on memory as hard drive almost full. could this be why ??

PLEEASE SOMEONE HELP !!! :shock:
Thanks

H

rhubarbandcustard, I've been checking into this further. Adobe have been looking into the cases of some corrupted files, but every one they've checked to date has not been LR's fault - it's usually hardware issues. Ian Lyons (Adobe U2U) pointed me back in the direction of this U2U thread where some of the LR team were involved in the discussions - makes an interesting read. http://www.adobeforums.com/webx?128@@.59b526e'

Sorry to hear you are still having trouble. I would say, at this time. Check your RAM. It has come up IIRC that bad ram can cause this. If you have a means of testing or swapping, RAM, do so!

The other one, IRRC< can be failing drive. Have that HD checked. You do have back-ups of the images, don't you?

Don

Thanks...but I have recently run both onyX and TechTool Delux to check for ANY Ram, hard drive, and syatem faults. Everything passed without a problem.

And lightroom just crashed...AGAIN !!! :oops:

DonRicklin;371'9 said:
Sorry to hear you are still having trouble. I would say, at this time. Check your RAM. It has come up IIRC that bad ram can cause this. If you have a means of testing or swapping, RAM, do so!

The other one, IRRC< can be failing drive. Have that HD checked. You do have back-ups of the images, don't you?

Don

rhubarbandcustard;37'91 said:
Also, my LR crashes constantly. I have to re'start. I'm running low on memory as hard drive almost full. could this be why ??
I am with Don on this! If you have two RAM modules, remove one and try. Then, remove the last one and replace with the other and try again.

But a full disk is definitely not helping here and there are reports that Lightroom do not like full trashcans. So, at least empty you trashcan...

Thanks. I've a MacbookPro so a bit difficult to do (in fact I have no idea how to do this) . However will try. On the other issue of LR crashing, i has just crashed 7 times in 1' minutes !!! Its become totally unusable !

This afternoon I emptied oout my Hard drive and have well over 15 gig free space.

?????

I am with Don on this! If you have two RAM modules, remove one and try. Then, remove the last one and replace with the other and try again.

But a full disk is definitely not helping here and there are reports that Lightroom do not like full trashcans. So, at least empty you trashcan...

Are you running LR2.3RC. If not, that seems like a next step, as well as checking the RAM.

Don

Other thing to check - where is your catalog stored? I was chatting with Dan Tull the other day, and he mentioned that he'd seen corrupted previews (which it sounds like you're seeing) developing particularly when using external drives, particularly USB on Mac OS.

Also try a fresh catalog in a new location with a new catalog name.

And 15gb free on a hard drive is still not a lot - hard drives prefer to be less than 5'% full.

Oh, and try MemTest for checking RAM. TechTool apparently doesn't always find it.

I also didn't see whether you'd deleted the preferences lately too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back