• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Greyed out folders showing 0 photos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nadine

Lightroom Version Number
Classic
Operating System
  1. Windows 8
Hello again, after spending hours trying to solve this problem, here my question: Some folders on the left panel are greyed out and the picture count is 0. There is no "?" or "!" though, so that I could just find them like a missing file. The actual file on the hard drive is there. Missing Photos in the Catalogue section shows about 4000 photos but they all don't have a "?" or "!" (If they had I would know what to do:-/) Any ideas what to do? Cheers!!! Nadine xx

Hi Nadine

Grayed out and zero count on a folder usually means there have been photos in Lightroom and in the folder but there aren't now. Are there photos in those folders shown in Explorer and have they been in LR?

Another cause of gray folders is if the drive with the folder on is off-line (I'm assuming that's not the case here but mention as a cause anyway)

Also, the Missing Photos special collection doesn't necessarily reflect the current situation. It only updates when you issue the Library->Find missing photos menu command. Try doing that and see what photos are still missing (if any).

Hi Nadine

Grayed out and zero count on a folder usually means there have been photos in Lightroom and in the folder but there aren't now. Are there photos in those folders shown in Explorer and have they been in LR?

Another cause of gray folders is if the drive with the folder on is off-line (I'm assuming that's not the case here but mention as a cause anyway)
Yes, the "real" folders on my hard drive still contain all the images. I 've had a problem at some point with the letter of the hard drive - I dont know why but it had switched to a different letter- however, I have fixed this issue and have changed the letter back to how it was. Shall I just delete all of the greyed out folders and the missing photos in the special missing photo collection out of LR and just reimport?
Cheers, Nadine

Also, the Missing Photos special collection doesn't necessarily reflect the current situation. It only updates when you issue the Library->Find missing photos menu command. Try doing that and see what photos are still missing (if any).
Yes, I've done that... almost 4000 missing... Cheers, Nadine

Where are these files located? There is a problem with images on servers and some external drives. Adobe is working on a fix.

In this post I ve read "Do not use syncronize Folder to remove missing files and import them again at their new location as you'll lose all of your LR Settings"

What do you mean by "lose all of my LR Settings"? Will I lose the adjustments that I ve made on pictures in this folder? Or is my whole LR Catalogue affected?

I tried "Syncronize Folder" on one of these greyed out folders - on one that I don't care much about - and looks like the photos are back in that folder now..

Cheers, Nadine

In this post I ve read "Do not use syncronize Folder to remove missing files and import them again at their new location as you'll lose all of your LR Settings"

What do you mean by "lose all of my LR Settings"? Will I lose the adjustments that I ve made on pictures in this folder? Or is my whole LR Catalogue affected?

I tried "Syncronize Folder" on one of these greyed out folders - on one that I don't care much about - and looks like the photos are back in that folder now..

Cheers, Nadine
You will lose all adjustments and added metadata like keywords if you use 'Synchronize Folder' to try to fix a 'missing' photos problem. Synchronize folder is meant for something else and should not be used for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back