• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Grey thumbnails - all of a sudden

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrJohan

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Operating System: Win 10
Exact Lightroom Version (Help menu > System Info): Classic CC 7.01

My recently upgraded Classic CC 7.01 sometimes behaves in a peculiar and rather annoying manner.

In the filmstrip as well as in the Library Grid area, occasionally a few thumbnails are greyed out. When I click on one of the greyed-out it will show the real picture, but at the same time one or more other pictures will go grey.

After leaving LR running by itself for som half an hour or so, it restores the filmstrip and the Grid area to not show any greyed-out images.

Classic CC 7.00 once behaved like this, but 7.01 behaves this badly several times a day.

Cause? Remedy?

That is a bit bizarre BrJohan. I would wonder about a problem with the previews folder or perhaps a slow drive?

I'm using an external (3 TB NTFS USB 3.1) drive for my catalog(s) holding data for ~90000 (DNG or TIFF) images. According to S.M.A.R.T. for the drive, it's performance is normal for such a drive. Previews are standard and size of folder Preview.lrdata is ~36 GB. Catalog is ~1 GB.

The problem occurs in swarms - so to say. Most of the time it is not present. Then, it is present for one or a few days. Optimizing the catalog does not make a difference. After reboot of the computer, LR works fine for a number of days.

Being intermittent, it tough for any diagnostic software to spot the problem. It sounds like either a drive problem, or a cable problem; possibly the pc USB port.
If you can, I'd swap in another drive and cable (backup drive?) and even on a different USB hub.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back