• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Green Hue on B&W Print to Epson XP-15000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul_DS256

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
LR Classic 9.4
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I suspect that this is an Epson issue but wanted to ask here first since it's the first time playing around with a B&W Profile.

I selected "B&W 12" in the Develop Color Profile. Amount is 50. When I view it in Develop, the image is entirely in gray scale. When I print it, there is a light green hue which is coming through on the foliage which I didn't expect. Is this suppose to be with B&W 12 @ 50?

Thanks

Actually, I just checked, and this was done with the Preset "B&W Soft". I didn't realize that the preset had changed the Color Profile.

Found the answer and I suspected, it was Epson based. However, in order to get it to work, I had to use 'Printer Managed' color. In my problem print, LR was managing the color.

I found this article (find 'black and white') which allowed me to print properly. The steps are:
  • Enable 'Printer Managed' for color profile
  • In 'Printer ...'
    • Select paper type as 'Plain Paper' even though you may have a specific Epson paper loaded. If you don't, you may not get the correction options below.
    • Under Color select 'Black/Grayscale'. According to the article, this forces the use of the Black and Gray inks. There is a 'Black & White Photo' option, which is exposed for my paper, but I found, as the article stated, the image was flat. 'Black & White Photo' was an option enabled with my EPSON Premium Glossy Paper so I'm not sure why it came out so flat.
    • I left Color Correction on 'Automatic'.
The resulting picture was what I saw in Develop. No Green hue/cast.

I don't understand ICC profiles enough to know if this could be accomplished with B&W options for the different papers. However, these are the steps to force the use of the Black & Grey inks. I checked, and there were a few Epson paper types that exposed 'Black/Grayscale' so you should check before selecting 'Plain Paper'.

Now, having said that, I found this Epson XP-15000 Support Article which states "Note: To keep the print head clear and ready to print, the printer uses a small amount of ink from all the cartridges whenever it prints. Even if you select Black/Grayscale or Grayscale, some color ink is still used. Black/Grayscale or Grayscale is not recommended for printing black-and-white photos" I think the last point is a misnomer since the support article is around printing documents. I read this as it's assumed photos are color.

I have the Epson P800 and the only time I use manage by printer is when I use the Advanced B&W setting, this will enable a separate window for controlling the tone of a B&W print. This does not use the ICC paper profile. For colour printing then I use the normal profile turn off colour adjustment and use the paper ICC profile.

... the only time I use manage by printer is when I use the Advanced B&W setting, this will enable a separate window for controlling the tone of a B&W print
Unfortunately, the Epson XP-15000 does not have the ABW capability. I'm left with forcing Black/Grayscale with the printer managing all color.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back