• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom 6 questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom 6 - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. When you upgrade to subscription, there's also a Lightroom Classic version available.
  • It's Lightroom update time again! Color Grading and improved zoom across the whole Lightroom family, plus graphical watermarks for the cloud-based Lightroom apps, as well as the usual new cameras, lens profiles and bug fixes. See this blog post for Lightroom Classic and this blog post for the Lightroom Cloud Ecosystem changes.

Graphics Card Woes

PatrickC

My old faithful MSI NX8600GTS T2D graphics card died - a clearly overheated power control component - so I invested in what I thought would improve things, a Gigabyte Geforce GTX 550 Ti, faster with more ram and all the trimmings required for Photoshop to use the graphics ram. The GTX 550 Ti is on the Adobe approved list, so I didn't expect to be getting problems.

After the forced upgrade I have a problem which I didn't have with the old card. The spot removal tool, which I use a lot, has become practically unusable. As soon as I apply a spot Lightroom freezes for several seconds, sometimes for tens of seconds, making it impossible to click and drag to choose the source for cloning/healing.

Anyone have any idea what is going on? I note that others have experienced similar symptoms, but is there any resolution?

Patrick Cunningham

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Hi Patrick, sorry to hear that. You've got the latest drivers direct from the manufacturer? If so, you could try toggling some of the settings in the driver control panel and see which settings improve things.

kaymann

kaymann
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Patrick follow Victoria's advice and do not accept Windows graphic driver updates. Get them straight from NVidia.

wianb

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
5.x
Sound advice....NEVER EVER allow windows update to update the graphics card driver!!!

PatrickC

I finally solved this, after endless hours of waiting for the seond monitor image to update and frustrating lags every time I used the spot removal tool, with unpredictable pauses before the secondary window image would update after making changes.

This is what I have found - I hope it might help others with these issues.

My setup prior to changing the video card had my main imaging monitor, a Spectraview 2180, as both the principal system monitor - ie the one where the dos boot information appeared when I booted the system - and also as the Primary Display in Windows - ie the one where the Start menu bar is located. I had my Lightroom main window located on the second monitor, a Lenovo L194, and had the second Lightroom window on the main monitor.

When I switched the video cards I decided, for reasons I can no longer remember, to change this - possibly it was just chance which monitor was plugged into which socket. I had the second monitor set as the Primary Display in Windows, and it was the principal system monitor as well (the one which displayed dos boot info). The Lightroom windows were set out as before, main window on second monitor and second window on the main monitor.

Having thought and thought about what was wrong, trying numerous 'fixes' suggested on various websites, I then went back and compared the specifications of the two graphics cards. It was clear that the new one should be outperforming the old one, but was essentially of similar architecture. So what was wrong?

I decided to try to re-create the system I had before the changeover, in all respects except for the different graphics card. This involved plugging the monitors into the opposite video sockets on the graphics card and changing the setting for which monitor was the Primary Display - on my system, this is done in the Nvidia Control Panel.

And it worked! I am now a happy bunny with a perfectly useable system again, after months of heartache. I was on the point of scrapping the new graphics card and trying a different one. I had tried creating a new Lightroom catalogue and importing from the old one - which took in excess of 30 hours (over 70,000 image in the catalogue)!

So many hours wasted, so much frustration.....

The new card has one DVI-I socket and one HDMI socket. The old card had two DVI-I sockets. From what I had read (and I have now read masses of stuff related to graphics cards, believe me!) there should be no differece between a monitor connected via a HDMI-to-DVI cable and one connected to the DVI socket - apparently the digital video signal used by both the HDMI and DVI ports is identical. I don't know if the difference is that the two outputs from the graphics card are less than equal, or if the bottleneck relates to the Primary Display setting in Windows. I don't know how the graphics card decides which socket to throw the boot stuff onto if there are two monitors attached. I just know that this arrangement works and the other one didn't.

If this solves your problem with a dual monitor setup please reply here so that we can all benefit from our combined experience and feed the information back to Adobe.

Patrick Cunningham

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
That's great, thanks for posting that information Patrick.