GPS location on import

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimmilly

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Hi

I have just imported a whole lot of photos and for some unknown reason the gps location has not imported from the card. this is the first import that I have done, the other import was from Aperture and that information came across. Any help would be appreciated.

thanks

Kim

I imported just from the card, should I have imported from the camera with the card inside??

Importing from the card is fine. How is the camera getting GPS coordinates to write to the image file header? Are you sure there are GPS coordinates in the Image File header?

I am unsure about what you are asking. I have a Canon camera that has gps. The gps coordinates always went across in Aperture.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Can you turn the GPS function on and off? Has it been turned off during a reset or similar?

No I can see the gps coordinates on the camera
Since, you have a CC Subscription, Open one of these image files in Bridge. View the Metadata panel GPS Section and determine that the GPS coordinates are present. If they are, then LR has imported the GPS coordinates and you need to use a LR metadata panel preset that shows the GPS fields. I would suggest temporarily changing the Metadata Panel preset from Default to Location.

Hi. Thanks I have used Bridge and determined that the data is there. I then went to location and the fields are empty. :(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi. Thanks I have used Bridge and determined that the data is there. I then went to location and the fields are empty.
I am perplexed. If the file shows the GPS fields when using Bridge but LR does not show The GPS coordinates when viewing the same file in the metadata panel. This is incongruous. I've looked at all of the preference and catalog settings and don't see a reason for this to happen. Are you using a metadata preset on import that could be somehow clearing the location coordinates fields? There is nothing in the Metadata Preset Editor related to GPS Coordinates. So any metadata preset should have no effect on GPS. If you Export a derivative file from LR, there is an option to "remove" the Location data from the derivative. But this is not the original file imported or the original file recorded by the camera.

Could you post a screen shot of the Metadata location Preset panel and another screen shot of the same file metadata view as viewed with Bridge? Also if you are using a metadata preset on import, could you attach the .lrtemplate file to to a reply.

There is nothing in the Metadata Preset Editor related to GPS Coordinates. So any metadata preset should have no effect on GPS.

Cletus, yes there is. This would wipe the GPS field if applied to an image....

Edit_Metadata_Presets.jpg

So if you look at my image, I have actually turned off the gps instead of turning it on??

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-02-08 at 7.58.11 am.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-02-08 at 7.58.11 am.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 424
Hi. Thanks for your help, I can see what I have done wrong, I have changed my preset and all is good now. ;)

Hi. Thanks for your help, I can see what I have done wrong, I have changed my preset and all is good now. ;)
Thanks to Jim for the help finding the field I thought should be there. That "Type to add, leave blank to clear" has always been a little counterintuitive for me too.

Yep, this exact same thing was happening in another forum just the other day.. An import preset blanking it out.

I think beginners think that metadata presets are for choosing WHICH fields to import, not that they're only for applying metadata to photos. If I can remember that far back, I think I may have had a similar confusion about that when just beginning in LR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back