• Welcome to Lightroom Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to register and post your first thread under Help on the menubar above. You're also welcome to join our newsletter, download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBook and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • You may have noticed this website was offline on Saturday 22nd September. Our web host suffered what is known as "a perfect storm". Everything that could go wrong, did go wrong. As a result of restoring backups, we appear to have lost about 18 hours of posts, but hopefully nothing more. If your post seems to have been affected, please do repost, and we look forward to helping. If you have any questions, you're welcome to use the Contact Webmaster link on the page footer.
  • Lightroom Classic 7.5 and Lightroom CC 1.5 have just gone live, and there's some exciting mobile updates to follow. And the big news... my Lightroom CC - Edit Like a Pro book has just been released too!

Got a new SSD drive, how to move all photos and videos?

Lightroom Version
Operating System
Windows 10
Hi all,

I am using Lightroom 6 and recently, I bought a new SSD drive. For few years, all my photos and videos are stored in this locations:

C:\Photo
C:\Video

Now, the new SSD drive is F:

What would be the best way to move from C:\Photo to F:\Photo and from C:\Video to F:\Video, and let Lightroom recognize that and update the library?

Thank you.

clee01l

Staff member
Lightroom Guru
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic 7
There are two options:
  1. With LR closed, you can move or copy C:\Photo to F:\Photo and from C:\Video to F:\Video using Windows Explorer. If you only Copy, then you need to rename C:\Photo and C:\Video to something else before starting LR. Upon Starting LR , LR will indicate that C:\Photo and from C:\Video are missing and you simply need to use the "Find Missing Folder" option to point LR to the folders on F:.
  2. In the LR folder panel, use the Add folder option to add a parent folder on F:\ for the folders \Photo and \Video, then drag the C:\Photo and C:\Video to then new parent on F: