Good midpriced graphics card for windows 10 PC

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Hi
I recently up graded to a Sony 7r iv and the large file size has slowed Lightroom.
My old graphics card 2GB NVIDIA GeForce GT740 is not up to the job. I know I need more memory on the new card, 6 or 8GB. Graphics card manufactures are obsessed with refresh rates, which I don't think is an issue for photo editing.
My monitor will also need upgrading to appreciate images from the 7r iv, so I'm looking for a cost-effective card. Do you have any recommendations?

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Good luck. I've been looking for some time, but the crypto mining folks are buying (or stealing in some cases) these by the thousands, and most that are available are from scalpers at 2-3x the MSRP.

Personally I'm trying to get something like an RTX3070. MSRP is $499. I just checked Amazon and the first to come up was $1899, also a few for $1600.

And there doesn't seem to be any near term relief in sight. Plus now, for reasons a bit unclear, SSD and M.2 drives are being bought en mass by miners as well, and those are expected to get expensive.

But GPU's are almost impossible right now, at least good ones.

PS. To answer your question, I think the 3070 is a good mid-range card, lots of cuda cores, moderate amounts of memory. I just don't want to pay scalper prices.

PhilBurton

Lightroom enthusiast (but still learning)
Premium Classic Member
Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Good luck. I've been looking for some time, but the crypto mining folks are buying (or stealing in some cases) these by the thousands, and most that are available are from scalpers at 2-3x the MSRP.

Personally I'm trying to get something like an RTX3070. MSRP is $499. I just checked Amazon and the first to come up was $1899, also a few for $1600.

And there doesn't seem to be any near term relief in sight. Plus now, for reasons a bit unclear, SSD and M.2 drives are being bought en mass by miners as well, and those are expected to get expensive.

But GPU's are almost impossible right now, at least good ones.

PS. To answer your question, I think the 3070 is a good mid-range card, lots of cuda cores, moderate amounts of memory. I just don't want to pay scalper prices.
Agree with Ferguson's sentiments here. I'm trying to upgrade my ancient GTX 660 Ti card, but I also refuse to pay scalper prices.

From reading other forums, GPU cards are expected to be in short supply for most of 2021, or until 2023 when new chip manufacturing capacity comes on line. Of course, there is no love on these forums for the crypto miners.

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
I've been wanting a better GPU in order to better run some Topaz programs. To get one (RTX3070), I just pulled the plug on a new Dell PC. Hopefully, my last.