Going back to 5.7

Status
Not open for further replies.

quantum

I thought it about time I got a newer version so upgraded to 6. (whatever the latest is).
I found it much slower in develop module to the point that I am considering asking for my money back. I have uninstalled 6.
Has anyone else had this experience? I did have some issues during installation that made me wonder if the thing had installed properly. Though I am loathed to re-install it again. My catalogue is big. My hard drives are admittedly getting full and only the operating drive is SSD. I know I need to update these but 5.7 is working fairly well.
I am not even sure what the benefits are of upgrading - just thought it was about time. Can anyone suggest my next course of action?
I tried in vain to find the refund section of the adobe website.
Thanks

There probably isn't because there is a free trial that you could have used to find these things out

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

The CC has a satisfaction period I think, but the perpetual, not sure. If you bought it from Adobe I would recommend calling them immediately as if there is a refund available, it is for a brief period.

Note that if you upgraded your catalog and did work in the new LR6 catalog, you are likely to have problems going back. I doubt seriously that LR5 will use the new catalog. If you have your last LR5 catalog, it will not include any updates to images made in LR6. You can try writing metadata to save the develop settings and hope LR5 might honor them, but there are incompatible settings in there as well, not sure what it will do.

Downgrading is always problematic.

I doubt seriously any magic is in the pipeline to provide better performance. Despite every other release stating "performance improvements" to me LR has gotten steadily worse over the years, with the only real blessing being I can buy steadily faster hardware trying to keep up. Sadly unlikely other bloatword like Office, the hardware has not gotten ahead of LR, it's a battle and I think hardware keeps losing.

On the other hand, you cannot stay on LR5 forever. Are you sure you really want to the hassle of going backwards only to find at some point (soon?) you have to go forward again?

I thought it about time I got a newer version so upgraded to 6. (whatever the latest is).
I found it much slower in develop module to the point that I am considering asking for my money back. I have uninstalled 6.
A lot could be attributed to earlier versions of LR6 The initial release and upgrades were quite buggy. The current version LR6.10 is quite stable and perky compared to LR6.0 -LR6.3. Secondarily, LR6 introduced the use of the GPU for computations in certain develop operations. While designed to speed things up, it is particularly problematic for Windows users that run a variety of video cards with poorly written or buggy video drivers. New features like face recognition can slow down the overall performance and may not even be necessary for most users and should be turned off.

Rather than give up and uninstall, a better option would be to seek out solutions to your issues. Your issues, while not unique are not the normal experience of most LR6 Windows users with Machines spec'd as you have listed yours. In, short, your problems are solvable and most likely do not rest with LR6 but more likely are the result of your unique hardware and software environment.

If you revert to LR5.7.1, you will need to used your last good LR5 catalog file as the LR6 catalog is not compatible with older versions of the LR app. This will mean also importing everything new that was imported into the LR6 catalog since the upgrade.

Thanks all. I went back to 5.7 and it's much faster. When I have swapped some disks for SSD then I'll look at having another trial.
The process of asking for my money back was painful. Got there in the end and fair play to them it was slightly over the 14 days.
J

I never left LR5.7 and still cannot see a need to "upgrade"

There's very rarely a need to upgrade, but there are often good reasons to upgrade, some of which can be quite compelling for many people.

There's very rarely a need to upgrade, but there are often good reasons to upgrade, some of which can be quite compelling for many people.
that is so true Jim and I have always in past thought and suggested we should always upgrade and be up to date or we get left behind . But I'm learning our needs do change after awhile.

I think new cameras push a fair number of people. Sure, there are awkward workarounds, but it's more compelling than (say) facial recognition.

And you bet Adobe knows that and that's why the camera aspects are not completely separate from the products, even in Photoshop, they don't want people sitting on CS5 and happily sending NIkon $6500 for a D5 but not $10/mo for Photoshop. :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back