Glad to join this group! Hope to learn from others and offer my knowledge if I can. I do need a bit of help getting LR Classic up and running.

lighthawkphoto

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
I've lurked here from time to time, always finding LR Queen to be a helpful and friendly place. I've been using LR Classic for a long time, and have a catalog with 300k images that I manage. I mostly edit at home on an iMac Studio, and have little practice with mobile use. I guess that makes me old school. I prefer to organize my photos in folders, and use keywords and sometimes collections, even smart collections to organize my inventory. I've tried LR (cloud based) but struggle with all the functions being different than Classic. I also found uploading to the cloud to be very slow compared to downloading to my RAID based storage on my desktop.

I've hit a wall somehow with LR Classic. Both on my iMac Studio 2021 (Ventura 13.0) and on my MBA 2020 (Big Sur 11.5.1) I cannot get LRc to open.
I've tried older versions like LRc 12.4 and after downloading, when I open the app it crashes just after showing the opening screen. I'm stumped.
Anyone else having this issue?

Are you trying to open the same catalog on both computers? If so, then it could mean the catalog is corrupted. Do you have a backup catalog from before this happened? And what version of Lightroom Classic do you use (we do not ask that for no reason)? I don’t think the latest version of Lightroom Classic is supported on MacOS 11…

Are you trying to open the same catalog on both computers? If so, then it could mean the catalog is corrupted. Do you have a backup catalog from before this happened? And what version of Lightroom Classic do you use (we do not ask that for no reason)? I don’t think the latest version of Lightroom Classic is supported on MacOS 11…
Thank you Johan

I'm unable to open Classic on either computer. I never get to open a catalog before it crashes.

What's odd is that I used to be able to use either computer. I'm not sure which version of LR Classic I was using (12?), but now no version will launch. I've checked file/folder permissions.

I'm at the lake, photographing eagles today, so won't be able to do anything until later.

RE: backups

I've lurked here from time to time, always finding LR Queen to be a helpful and friendly place. I've been using LR Classic for a long time, and have a catalog with 300k images that I manage. I mostly edit at home on an iMac Studio, and have little practice with mobile use. I guess that makes me old school. I prefer to organize my photos in folders, and use keywords and sometimes collections, even smart collections to organize my inventory. I've tried LR (cloud based) but struggle with all the functions being different than Classic. I also found uploading to the cloud to be very slow compared to downloading to my RAID based storage on my desktop.

I've hit a wall somehow with LR Classic. Both on my iMac Studio 2021 (Ventura 13.0) and on my MBA 2020 (Big Sur 11.5.1) I cannot get LRc to open.
I've tried older versions like LRc 12.4 and after downloading, when I open the app it crashes just after showing the opening screen. I'm stumped.
Anyone else having this issue?
Hi and welcome to this group. As Victoria says, "We are a friendly bunch here." And it's true. This is my GO TO group for all things Lightroom. Like you I am still a Classic only user.

You said that you access your catalog from two different systems, but you didn't say where the catalog is stored. If either or both systems accesses the catalog over a LAN connection (wired or wireless), then your use case is not supported by the LrC catalog. The LrC catalog uses an underlying database system that is explicitly designed for use on a local system. Any other use case will inevitably result in corruption.

I hope that you have been diligent with catalog backups.

Phil

Back