• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Give a photo the colors of a movie from the 80ies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

foyer

Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom 9.2.1
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Is it possible to give a photo the colors of a movie from the 80ies? E.g the colors from "Gremlins" or "Poltergeist"? Or "Mission Impossible I", 1995 or "Home Alone"? Are there luts available?

Ah sorry, it is not my computer, I thougth Lightroom since 10 needs subscriptions. So this means an update to the newest vesrion can be installed, that would be great.

like all versions of Classic
Actually it cannot be like that, I am sure I have a Lightroom without subscriptions.

A preset that used Split Toning may not work anymore, but I haven’t tried. It could well be that it still works because split toning is basically the same as color grading.
Older presets that referred to Split Toning settings will still produce the same effect in LR 10. LR 10's Color Grading uses the same internal settings as Split Toning for shadows and highlights, and it adds settings for the midtones (and the user interface is different, of course).

I assume, the "Color Grading" options in Lightroom do not have anything to do with the (real) color grading options of a color grading program for movies.
They're very similar in capability at this point, and you should be able to achieve similar looks with LR as with professional color-grading tools. A few years ago Premiere Pro added Lumetri Color, which implemented sliders similar to LR's Basic panel, and LR 10 added color wheels for shadows, midtones, and highlights similar to the the color wheels in Premiere, Resolve, and other editors. (LR's color wheels do have one significant, curious difference, though the range masks of LR's local adjustments provide a different user interface for getting the same look as the video editor's color wheels.) Video editors have "scopes" of various sorts that provide color graders with more visualizations of the tonal range than LR's histogram and clipping indicators, and trained color graders miss the scopes when using LR. But that doesn't affect the range of possible effects, just how easy it might be for a color grader to achieve them.

And of course LR and the video tools all allow the use of LUTs (color lookup tables), so all the common looks can be captured as LUTs and shared within and between apps. (There are some effects, such as a grain and LR's image-adaptive settings like Shadows, that can't be captured by LUTs.)

Actually it cannot be like that, I am sure I have a Lightroom without subscriptions.
Quite possibly you do have a version of Lightroom that didn't need a subscription. Lightroom Classic wasn't introduced until 2017, and when it was released it was effectively the version 7 of the traditional desktop app....so versions 1 to 6 were available to purchase with a perpetual license. But since Classic was introduced, now at version 10, it is/was only available via a subscription. So if the person who owns the computer IS a subscriber, you should suggest to them that they upgrade (for free) to the latest version in order to get the Color Grading tool.

They're very similar in capability at this point, and you should be able to achieve similar looks with LR as with professional color-grading tools.
So the color graders technically do the same (for a whole movie) like one does with Lightroom for a single photo (with much less effort than for the entire movie)? They do not have more options within their programs? So the colors generated with a grading program are the same as with programs like Lightroom? But to copy / mimic the colors of a 80ies movie will be quite difficult anyway, I assume.

If one should find color settings that produces the colors one wants to have (e.g. similar to an 80ies movie) one would have to adapt those for each single photo done under other circumstances, with other equipment, that is right, isn't it?

So if the person who owns the computer IS a subscriber, you should suggest to them that they upgrade (for free) to the latest version in order to get the Color Grading tool.
I will do so, thank you.

So the color graders technically do the same (for a whole movie) like one does with Lightroom for a single photo (with much less effort than for the entire movie)? They do not have more options within their programs? So the colors generated with a grading program are the same as with programs like Lightroom? But to copy / mimic the colors of a 80ies movie will be quite difficult anyway, I assume.
They have pretty much the same capabilities for generating the same range of color transformations, though as I mentioned, the user interfaces for video color grading do offer some more detailed visualizations and other user-interface tweaks optimized for video. Keep in mind that video color grading is a highly specialized role, and even smaller productions will have a dedicated color grader. Producers, directors, and directors of photography invest a lot to get exactly the looks they want.

What is the difference to the old options like WB, Tone Curve, HSL/Color and Split Toning controls? What can Colour Grading tools do better?
Until the most recent versions of Lightroom Classic, the tools were much more about color correction than color grading. It is important to understand that those are two different stages, and neither can replace the other.

Color correction means to take the original image and remove any unwanted imbalances in color or tone. The resulting properly balanced image is said to be color corrected. But at this point it’s been corrected technically or academically, but not aesthetically or emotionally.

Color grading means to express a mood, emotional state, or historical period by manipulating color. Here, you might intentionally introduce different color balances (e.g. a complementary color palette) or imbalances to convey the emotional impact you want. You might want to dial in different color balances for highlights, midtones, and shadows, something the Basic panel Temp and Tint sliders cannot do.

It’s easy to understand how this could get confusing. Although you can’t replace color correction with color grading or vice versa, you can try to use either set of tools for the other purpose. Most photographers cross over from color correction to color grading without realizing it. For example, white balance is intended as a color correction tool, but after achieving a neutral white balance, in the same step many of us might also nudge it a little warmer because that’s how we felt it looked like, even if that wasn’t how it actually looked if you were there.

Similarly, it is possible to use the new Color Grading tools for color correction, but they can’t do it all because that’s not what they’re designed for. The Color Grading tools can’t reproduce all of the results you get from adjusting Highlights, Shadows, RGB curves, HSL, etc. And the color correction tools (Basic, Tone Curve, HSL) can’t reproduce all of the results you get from the Color Grading tools.

Because the new Color Grading tools do what they say, no more and no less, they're usually best used last, after all color corrections are complete. Color grading — or applying a grading (not correction) LUT/profile — to an image that is not color corrected is usually disappointing. LUTs work best and most consistently on images that are consistently corrected and balanced before grading.

Now, about getting that 80s look. If you can’t find ready-made presets that get that look, you’ll want to define what makes them look that way, in terms of tone and color, and that might take some research. What was the look of common film stocks of the era (since most movies could not afford to alter that very much)? Which colors did the Kodak and Fuji motion picture films of that era lean toward or away from? Were there colors that always saturated completely? What did the contrast curve look like from shadows to highlights, was it shallow or steep? Did the ends of the tonal range clip, or have a rolloff? Then, on top of that, did the cinema colorists of the 1980s have a particular style that they were after, that was different than what colorists did in other decades?

They have pretty much the same capabilities for generating the same range of color transformations, though as I mentioned, the user interfaces for video color grading do offer some more detailed visualizations and other user-interface tweaks optimized for video. Keep in mind that video color grading is a highly specialized role, and even smaller productions will have a dedicated color grader. Producers, directors, and directors of photography invest a lot to get exactly the looks they want.
Yes, a lot of effort, a special capability needed so I guess. And, I assume, a calibrated monitor would be needed definitely. I am not able to achieve such. I cannot remember to ever have seen a (good) photo color graded the same like a 80ies movie or a movie at all.

It’s easy to understand how this could get confusing.
No no, this princip is quite easily to understand, I would say. To be able to recognize which value (unintentionally changing also other tones / colors, etc.) has to be changed to get a special tone / color which is part of e.g. a / that 80ies movie would not be possible for me. And what colors need a correction or grading at all? Etc. I am not able to recognize if a single color would be part of the 80ies movie colors or not.
And one would have to adapt the color sheme (if found at all), respectively do the correction for each photo (made with other requirements) again.

Now, about getting that 80s look. If you can’t find ready-made presets that get that look, you’ll want to define what makes them look that way, in terms of tone and color, and that might take some research.
But even if I would find such, if the initial situation of a photo is different than the one the LUT is designed for it would not help (that much), I assume, because it would make completely different colors.

Unbelievable, a LUT for "Gremlins" (and other movies I like the colors of), absolutely cannot see whether the colors are correct / good or not, actually I cannot imagine they are:
TTyZnGl.png

https://www.triunedigital.com/products/triune-color-retro-luts-80s
When I accidentally add the same LUTs twice / again here
UCM9NKY.png

are they added a second time?

Re Conrad's very good description of "color correction" versus "color grading", be aware that as you read articles online, many professionals in video production use "color grading" ambiguously to encompass both activities, while many maintain the distinctions called out by Conrad. Someone with the job title of "color grader" performs both activities.

Have a look at Boris FX | Optics ... Boris Optics That contains amongst many many other things Luts / presets for a large number of Movies ~ Its available as a plug in for LR and Photoshop ~ Not cheap but well worth it if you're into those kinds of effects

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back