• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • It's Lightroom update time again! There's new Presets in all versions, Super Resolution on the desktop, new Sharing options and more. See this blog post for Lightroom Classic and this blog post for the Lightroom Cloud Ecosystem changes.

Getting my collection in the cloud... Best way to make that happen?

joshua

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Classic and CC
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
  2. macOS 10.13 High Sierra
  3. iOS
Hey there.. I've been out of the Lightroom scene for a number of years and just getting back into it now.

A lot has happened since I've been away including Lightroom CC and Dropbox Smart Sync.

I have probably about 500gb of photos in my Lightroom Classic catalog that's currently on my HD (and a backup on my other HD) but I want to get it in the cloud and since I don't access most of the photos that often, I'd like to keep them off my local drives except when I need them.

Is this exactly what Lightroom CC does?
And if so, how do I convert my offline catalog to their cloud?
Do I get 10tb of space with CC?
Does anyone do this w/ Dropbox Smart Sync as well - and are there pros and cons of one versus the other?

Sorry if this is a total noob question, but googling around I couldn't find a clear answer.

-- Joshua

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Yes, this is what Lightroom CC does. You get 1TB in the standard plan. You can extend this to 10TB, but that is very expensive and you don’t need it. Lightroom CC can migrate a Lightroom Classic catalog. Dropbox always stores a local copy, so that won’t be an alternative.

joshua

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Dropbox now has a Smart Sync option without the need for local storage - that being said Lightroom CC sounds like the solution. Is there a doc/link you recommend to do the conversion or do you just launch and go?

Anne Brown

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Lightroom just stores a preview when it syncs so you still need to keep it on your hard drive if you want a decent size file.

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Lightroom just stores a preview when it syncs so you still need to keep it on your hard drive if you want a decent size file.
I'm not sure what you're suggesting here. Lightroom CC stores the original in the cloud, and gets that original from the cloud when needed. You don't need to store a local copy, unless you know you'll be offline a lot and need full size copies during that period.

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Do I have to change my settings to have them store the full size ?
If you do want to store the originals locally, then yes. Go to Preferences - Local Storage and check the option 'Store a copy of all originals at the specified location'.

mcasan

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Suggest moving this thread to the CC forum.

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Are we talking about the same thing? Any image added to any LRCC app will always upload as full original size. But if the image is synced from LR Classic, only smart previews (2560px long edge) are uploaded.