• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • The December 2019 Lightroom updates are now available. Lightroom Classic is just bug fixes and new cameras in this release, but it fixes a whole load of macOS Catalina issues.
    Lightroom (cloud-based service) has export options and direct import on iOS and the ability to contribute photos to someone else's account from the desktop/mobile apps.
    The Missing FAQ and Edit Like a Pro eBooks are already updated for the changes.
  • Are you using the cloud-based Lightroom apps for Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Apple TV and Web? Then you'll love my new book, Adobe Lightroom - Edit Like a Pro!

You'll learn how to use the Lightroom cloud ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also come to understand the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Getting Lightroom Classic to stop filling up my ipad and iphone

betseyrose

Lightroom Version
Lightroom Classic version: 8.4.1 [ 201909111355-eb9b68f0 ]
Operating System
macOS 10.14 Mojave, iOS
I am a heavy user of Lightroom Classic which I coordinate with my iphone and Ipad pro and can’t figure out how to make them work smoothly together. Lightroom cc is also installed on my mac although I don’t use it.

All of my original photos are stored on external drives or on my mac. I think I need a list of the proper settings for the apps and mac to keep photos from filling up the app drives after I have deleted them. And information on how to delete the photos I don’t want on my apps but want to keep on my hard drives

Here is info from my ipad pro: It has 128 GB of storage
Lightroom uses 101 GB, photos uses 2.71 GB, and the drive is full. Adobe says I need to add another TB of storage. I already pay for 1TB and suspect that I don’t need to buy it.

I have 107,417 synced photos including many albums that I no longer need on the ipad that are no longer being synced from Lightroom Classic. Are these contributing to the problem and can I delete them without deleting collections on my mac?

I use the lightroom camera to take photos on my iphone and ipad. If I upload from the phone to the mac and delete the images from the phone, they eventually come back and take up space again on my phone, meaning I can’t take more photos.

Please help and thanks.

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Hi betseyrose, sorry we missed this one. Using Classic and Cloudy together is definitely not as smooth as we'd all like, but let's clarify a couple of details. Have you synced the photos safely back into Classic?

A couple of important details to understand:
Photos synced from Classic don't take up space in the cloud, and take up minimal space in your iPhone/iPad.
Photos synced from the Cloudy apps do take up space in the cloud.
You can remove photos from the cloud easily by removing them from the All Synced Photographs collection in the Catalog panel of Classic.

Do you still need all those originals in the cloud? If not, you probably could start by unchecking the sync checkbox next to the collections in the Collections panel in Classic, and then removing a bunch of photos from the All Synced Photos collection.

betseyrose

Hi betseyrose, sorry we missed this one. Using Classic and Cloudy together is definitely not as smooth as we'd all like, but let's clarify a couple of details. Have you synced the photos safely back into Classic?

A couple of important details to understand:
Photos synced from Classic don't take up space in the cloud, and take up minimal space in your iPhone/iPad.
Photos synced from the Cloudy apps do take up space in the cloud.
You can remove photos from the cloud easily by removing them from the All Synced Photographs collection in the Catalog panel of Classic.

Do you still need all those originals in the cloud? If not, you probably could start by unchecking the sync checkbox next to the collections in the Collections panel in Classic, and then removing a bunch of photos from the All Synced Photos collection.
thanks.
I synced everything with my lr classic on my mac, turned off syncing, and deleted all of my synced photos in classic following the prompts that showed up. it was scary but resulted in lots of room on my ipad and adobe cloud - which had been full - and no collections on the ios lightroom but all still on the classic version. Perfect. I can resync any collections I want on the ipad and phone or just make a few new ones. It got rid of lots of old junk and storage. Thank you very much for helping.