• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Getting back to where you were

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjlad

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Hi there,
Ok ...so editing a picture and decide it should go into a smart collection that was started years ago. Thinking 'what are the criteria', so navigating to that collection I hit Edit and look at the parameters. Now to get back to that photo I was editing so I can establish those parameters on it. But of course I had got to it using filtering on years of photos and can't remember...where the heck was it, especially since once filtered ...there are images from different years, drives, etc.
Is there an easy way to bookmark where one is to make it easy to get back there?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Hi there,
Ok ...so editing a picture and decide it should go into a smart collection that was started years ago. Thinking 'what are the criteria', so navigating to that collection I hit Edit and look at the parameters. Now to get back to that photo I was editing so I can establish those parameters on it. But of course I had got to it using filtering on years of photos and can't remember...where the heck was it, especially since once filtered ...there are images from different years, drives, etc.
Is there an easy way to bookmark where one is to make it easy to get back there?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

I’d place such photos in the target collection (Hot Key “B”). Alternately, you could add a color label , pick flag or rating what ever condition that would make the image uniquely findable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In your scenario the image should still be slected as the active image. I suspect that you clicked (left click) on the Smart Collection before you went in to edit the smart collection. That left click changed the set of images in the grid/filmstrip to be those returned by the Smart Collection. Had you JUST right clicked on the Smart Collection and selected to edit the smart colleciton, when you closed the edit dialog box the image in question would have still been on your screen.

But, see Clee's response for how to mark an image you may later want to come back to. If you have the need to do this a lot you can even create a Regular Collection called something like "Marked to come back to" and set it as the "target" collection for the speed keys. Then the letter "b" on the keyboard will add all selected images to that collection or, if they are already there, remove them. <ctrl>+b will take you to that collection.

But of course I had got to it using filtering on years of photos and can't remember...where the heck was it, especially since once filtered ...there are images from different years, drives, etc.
I run into this issue all the time managing large catalogs of archived photos. LR's Go Back button goes to the previously used source (folder, collection) but it doesn't remember filter settings and selections. My Any Source plugin maintains a history of source, filter, and selection states, so when you invoke its Go Back command, you can quickly get back to those photos you were working on. I've got its Back bound to Ctrl + B and Forward to Ctrl + F (which indicates how much I use it).

You are a genius John. Love it when a person solves problems before future users even know they exist.
Installed and works great and will ante up.

I was looking at the keyboard shortcuts you mention in describing how to use it, and find these Alt-keyboard shortcuts aren't working properly for me:
  • Alt+L does open the Library menu if I'm already in the Library
    • Ctrl-L toggles library filters on and off
    • Shift+L, Fn+L and just plain L, all toggle the Lighting
    • Nothing I've been able to find opens the Library Module from the Develop Module other than the G key opening it in Grid View or just clicking Library with the mouse
  • Alt+U does not open the Plug-in Extras submenu
    • it doesn't appear to do anything in the Library module or the Develop Module
  • Alt+I does not open the Any Source Find Folder or Collection command.
    • Instead, it toggles the information display on the current image and filmstrip
I'm on 11.3.1 now.
The standard Ctrl+Alt+1, 2, 3 etc., work for switching between modules.
Alt+click in the Develop Module works for resetting adjustments etc.
Alt+click and Alt+key functions do work normally in Photoshop.

I WISH Alt+U would open the Plug-in Extras submenu because I'm in that so frequently.

Might I have a setting messed up somewhere?

Thanks

To invoke Back, the Windows sequence is:

1. Alt + L (opens the Library menu)
2. U (not ALT + U; opens the Plug-in Extras submenu)
3. B (not ALT + B; invokes the Back command)

1651266393189.png

My first 4 years of LR, I was on Windows, and I used these multi-keystroke Alt shortcuts extensively for my plugins. But many people dislike them. If you want single-keystroke shortcuts on Windows, you can try out the Autohotkey solution:
https://johnrellis.com/lightroom/anysource.htm#shortcuts

Thanks for the explanation John. I should have figured it out. I was assuming U had to be Alt-U and not a progression from within that menu.
Works fine!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back