Gamma adjustment

Status
Not open for further replies.

rickkent3

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 12 Monterey
New at trying slide scanning with Silverfast and Plustek scanner. The scans are very dark and I've been told to change the gamma from 1.0 to 2.2. Online instructions say "drag the triangle icon on the Gamma color wheel in the Look panel." I'm using Mac. Huh?

Online instructions say "drag the triangle icon on the Gamma color wheel in the Look panel." I'm using Mac. Huh?
What application’s instructions were you looking at? There is no Look panel in Lightroom, and when I type that phrase into Google it seems to appear in a help article for Adobe SpeedGrade, which is a discontinued application for color grading pro video clips, nothing to do with Lightroom.

Because you listed the version as 11.5, we’ll assume you’re using Lightroom Classic. For underexposed slides, the first good step is to increase the Exposure value, as shown below on my own scan of underexposed Kodachrome slide film. A second step is to try increasing the Shadows value.

Lightroom Classic slide underexposed Exposure.gif

If the results are not good enough, your next step is to go back to the slide scanner software and see you can get a better source scan for software to work with. For the re-scan, you want to look in the scanning software for some kind of Analog Gain or Exposure feature. Those can help produce better scan files of underexposed transparencies, making software adjustments easier. I am not familiar with Silverfast software and Plustek hardware; I use different brands.

Scans of underexposed slide film are more difficult to save, because slide film has less dynamic range than negative film. The quality of an underexposed slide film scan boosted in software always looks worse than a frame of the same image properly exposed in camera.

Also, Gamma is not a specific feature in Lightroom. However, because gamma is implemented as a midtone adjustment in many image-editing applications, if you specifically want something gamma-like you can add a midtone point in the Curves panel and drag it up. If you were advised to try adjusting gamma, the person was probably talking about pixel editors like Photoshop, not raw processors such as Lightroom or Camera Raw.

What application’s instructions were you looking at? There is no Look panel in Lightroom, and when I type that phrase into Google it seems to appear in a help article for Adobe SpeedGrade, which is a discontinued application for color grading pro video clips, nothing to do with Lightroom.

Because you listed the version as 11.5, we’ll assume you’re using Lightroom Classic. For underexposed slides, the first good step is to increase the Exposure value, as shown below on my own scan of underexposed Kodachrome slide film. A second step is to try increasing the Shadows value.

View attachment 19396

If the results are not good enough, your next step is to go back to the slide scanner software and see you can get a better source scan for software to work with. For the re-scan, you want to look in the scanning software for some kind of Analog Gain or Exposure feature. Those can help produce better scan files of underexposed transparencies, making software adjustments easier. I am not familiar with Silverfast software and Plustek hardware; I use different brands.

Scans of underexposed slide film are more difficult to save, because slide film has less dynamic range than negative film. The quality of an underexposed slide film scan boosted in software always looks worse than a frame of the same image properly exposed in camera.

Also, Gamma is not a specific feature in Lightroom. However, because gamma is implemented as a midtone adjustment in many image-editing applications, if you specifically want something gamma-like you can add a midtone point in the Curves panel and drag it up. If you were advised to try adjusting gamma, the person was probably talking about pixel editors like Photoshop, not raw processors such as Lightroom or Camera Raw.
Thanks, the instructions were just the first thing that comes up when I google gamma change in Lightroom.
My slides are exposed properly, but the Silverfast scans were coming up so dark that maximum exposure and shadows adjustment in Lightroom weren't enough. That's when Silverfast expert said change the gamma from 1.0 to 2.2, but he didn't know if it could be done in Lightroom. Easy in PS. That worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back