• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Print module Fully removing margins

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexBrandt

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic 7.5
Operating System
Hey all,

I'm following this tutorial to create a white boarder around a picture https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHnG6xEnsrY
Problem is, I can't manage to remove the margins. The minimum I can do is 0.25 inches.

Here is a screenshot.

Screen Shot 2018-08-29 at 20.55.46.jpg

How can I bring these to 0 ?
Also I'm wondering why the bottom margin is bigger than the rest.

Last edited:
The problem is with the limitations of your printer. Some printers can not print zero margins (Borderless) Others require that you set the printer to Borderless before borderless printing can be enabled in the app. Because of paper handling, the bottom margin may have a minimum dimension larger that the minimums on the other edges.

As Cleetus says- Your printer must be capable pf printing "Borderless"
1. Set the 'Borderless' option and page size in the Printer Setup dialog
2. In Layout, Set 'Margins' to minimum
3. Set 'Cell Size' Height & Width to maximum.

The problem is with the limitations of your printer. Some printers can not print zero margins (Borderless) Others require that you set the printer to Borderless before borderless printing can be enabled in the app. Because of paper handling, the bottom margin may have a minimum dimension larger that the minimums on the other edges.

Thank you for this info. It does make sense from a printing module.
I actually don't want to print but just place a white frame around one of my pictures before publishing online.

Is it possible to do in LR or should that be done in Photoshop ?

Photoshop can do it better, but there is a couple of ways to do something in Lightroom-
1. If you accept rounded corners- use the Post Crop Vignette.
2. In the Print module: Print to JPG to create the 'bordered' image.
ScreenShot110.jpg
ScreenShot109.jpg

screenshot111-jpg.11371

Attachments

• ScreenShot111.jpg
    ScreenShot111.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 2,581
Hey there,

Thanks for the tip.
I wasn't aiming at having rounded corners though...

I guess I'll do the next ones in PS.

Thanks

Did you try Option 2. ?
In the Print module- Design any border width by changing margins, cell size, etc,
Then "Print" to JPG to save the image file as JPG.

The problem of not being able to set the margins to zero depends on the printer that has been chosen. If the printer doesn't support borderless, then you can't set the margins to zero, even if you selected 'Print to JPEG'. That's because you can't select a borderless paper size.

However, you can define a new custom borderless paper size that applies to any printer, even if the printer doesn't physically support it. You do that in Page Setup (bottom left). Select the paper size pop-up menu and choose 'Manage Custom Sizes'. In the dialog that follows you can define a new 'Borderless' paper size by clicking on the plus icon, giving this new page size a name, and then setting the Non-Printable Area to User Defined. That allows setting all margins to zero. With this new paper size selected in the Page Setup, it should be possible to set all margins in Lightroom to zero.

Screenshot 2018-09-02 16.18.12.jpg

The problem of not being able to set the margins to zero depends on the printer that has been chosen. If the printer doesn't support borderless, then you can't set the margins to zero, even if you selected 'Print to JPEG'. That's because you can't select a borderless paper size.

However, you can define a new custom borderless paper size that applies to any printer, even if the printer doesn't physically support it. You do that in Page Setup (bottom left). Select the paper size pop-up menu and choose 'Manage Custom Sizes'. In the dialog that follows you can define a new 'Borderless' paper size by clicking on the plus icon, giving this new page size a name, and then setting the Non-Printable Area to User Defined. That allows setting all margins to zero. With this new paper size selected in the Page Setup, it should be possible to set all margins in Lightroom to zero.

View attachment 11386

Hey Johan,

Thank you for this tip. I tried and it worked ! :)

It does make sense that in a "Print" module it is the printer which directs what limitations there are on the digital paper setup.
However, I find there are a couple of problems with that approach. For instance, what if you create a print template at home that you will send to a print shop to be printed ? In this case you don't have the printer on location. So I guess to have to make a custom Paper size matching the printing's company's specks ?

What you send to a print shop is an image (a JPEG). How that image was created in Lightroom is irrelevant, except when you want to match the exact specifications of the printshop. In that case you should indeed define a new custom paper size that matches the printshop size.

What you send to a print shop is an image (a JPEG). How that image was created in Lightroom is irrelevant, except when you want to match the exact specifications of the printshop. In that case you should indeed define a new custom paper size that matches the printshop size.

In this case, LR should not assume were are printing stuff at home and imposing margins based on your crappy home printer.

In this case, LR should not assume were are printing stuff at home and imposing margins based on your crappy home printer.
The Print module is for printing at home on your crappy home printer. Normally you won't use this module when you want to send images to a print shop. You would use 'File - Export' for this. If you decide to use the Print module to add a border to the image, then you will have to accept what this module is really meant for.

The Print module is for printing at home on your crappy home printer. Normally you won't use this module when you want to send images to a print shop. You would use 'File - Export' for this. If you decide to use the Print module to add a border to the image, then you will have to accept what this module is really meant for.

Ahhh. Ok. I assumed it was for a pro workflow.,

Ahhh. Ok. I assumed it was for a pro workflow.,
Lightroom does not decide whether you buy a cheap crappy home printer, or a professional one. It just prints to whatever is installed. I have an Epson Stylus Pro 7600 wide format printer at home. Would that be a pro workflow to you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back