• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Develop module Full screen of picture

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexBrandt

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic 8.4
Operating System
Hello,

I'm struggling with something basic even though I've been using LR for a few years now.
I believe Adobe made a changse in one of the updates which screw up this basic function. I'm on LR 8.4.1

Fullscreen an image, the shortcut is F.
When I press F, to me this is not an image in Full screen. Its an image alone on the screen with black around it. Buch of most the screen is not utilized.
I actually want the picture to fill the screen preview without crop.

When I click on my picture in "Fullscreen" i fills the screen cropping the image to fit the proportion of my Macbook pro screen.
How can I avoid that?

Thank you

I have a Macbook Pro and the images whith the same aspect ratio as my screen do fill the screen complete.
Images with another ratio do show cropped but that is normal behaviour i think. What should Lightroom do otherwise, strech them?

ullscreen an image, the shortcut is F.
When I press F, to me this is not an image in Full screen. Its an image alone on the screen with black around it. Buch of most the screen is not utilized.
I actually want the picture to fill the screen preview without crop.
If your screen has more pixels than are present in the image displayed, the images will only cover the pixels needed to display the image.

I have a Macbook Pro and the images with the same aspect ratio as my screen do fill the screen complete.
Images with another ratio do show cropped but that is normal behaviour i think. What should Lightroom do otherwise, strech them?

No, all Lightroom has to do is like in Preview...
Take the longest side of the picture and display that length entirely without crop. Let the rest follow with the same ratio and back around it.

Screen Shot 2020-04-30 at 22.53.50.jpg

Your screen shot looks to me that it has filled the full screen top to bottom as it should in displaying a portrait mode image on a Landscape screen. I don’t see a problem.

If your screen is 2880 x 1800 and your photo is 2500X3500, then the 3500 pixel edge will fill the 1800 dimension and the 2500 dimension will be resized to proportionally fit in the 2880 edge of the screen with lots of black space left over.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I don't see a problem, either.

Your screen shot looks to me that it has filled the full screen top to bottom as it should in displaying a portrait mode image on a Landscape screen. I don’t see a problem.

If your screen is 2880 x 1800 and your photo is 2500X3500, then the 3500 pixel edge will fill the 1800 dimension and the 2500 dimension will be resized to proportionally fit in the 2880 edge of the screen with lots of black space left over.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The screenshot is from the Application Preview, native to OSX not from Lightroom.
Lightroom did not have this behaviour when I put a portrait picture in full screen. The image had black all around it and occupied 30% of the screen only.

The screenshot is from the Application Preview, native to OSX not from Lightroom.
Lightroom did not have this behaviour when I put a portrait picture in full screen. The image had black all around it and occupied 30% of the screen only.
Then you need to post a a screen shot showing this behavior. I would also like to see the cropped dimensions in pixels of the image that show the behavior that you describe

I find that an image with smaller pixel dimensions than my screen will not 'Fill' the screen entirely- it does have 'black' surrounding the image. I guess that means that 'small' images will not 'enlarge' to 'fill', but 'large' images will 'reduce' to 'Fit' screen size.
eg. my 1600x1200 photo does not fill my 2560x1440 screen. There is black screen area both sides & top & bottom.
ScreenShot101.jpg

I find that an image with smaller pixel dimensions than my screen will not 'Fill' the screen entirely- it does have 'black' surrounding the image. I guess that means that 'small' images will not 'enlarge' to 'fill', but 'large' images will 'reduce' to 'Fit' screen size.
eg. my 1600x1200 photo does not fill my 2560x1440 screen. There is black screen area both sides & top & bottom.
View attachment 14484
Hey, yeah it makes sense.
All my pictures have higher resolutions than the actual screen resolution so that was not the actual problem.

Then you need to post a a screen shot showing this behavior. I would also like to see the cropped dimensions in pixels of the image that show the behavior that you describe

Hello. Well for some reason the problem seems to be fixed.
Now the behaviour does not happen anymore and LR does indeed full screen the images correctly.
Wired.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back