Full Hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

l woodyard

Greetings: New forum member here.
I am currently using LR 1.4 (have version 2 in box). When I download images to LR it goes to my computer's hard drive. I back up on an external on a daily basis. My drive is about full, and I want to put all the downloads on an external hard drive, and still have access. I tried that on one small file and the file name goes red, meaning not accessible. Is there a thread you can point me to, or someone with knowledge who can help me? Thanks.

Welcome to Lightroom Forums.

Right-click on that red folder name, and choose "Locate Missing Folder..." from the context menu. Then point LR to the new location, and you're good to go.

Alternately, you can move the files within Lightroom.

This is similar in 2.x, though the folder browser looks a little different, and the indication for a missing folder is different. But it's all conceptually the same.

I would strongly recommend using LR to move the folders/files, it is much easier in the long run IMHO>;)

My drive is about full, and I want to put all the downloads on an external hard drive, and still have access.

Easy, Woodyard; just move your files/folders to the new external drive from inside Lightroom and it will keep track.
If you move them at system level, right-click on the folder (inside the panel Folders in Lightroom) and point the new direction.
Good luck!

one cool thing with 'finding' the photos again is that you only need to do it for one photo per directory and LR will get the rest automatically.
its not perfect but better than having to 'find' EVERY photo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back