Status
Not open for further replies.

sizzlingbadger

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Hi all,

I just noticed an issue with my new Fuji X-E1 and Lightroom when I shoot in RAW only (RAW + JPG does not exhibit the same problem).

After import the photos are showing cropped (16:9) by default. If I choose "Original" instead of "As Shot" in the crop tool it fixes it. Also hitting the "Reset" button (or Shift Reset for Abobe Reset) for the image also fixes it.

The default Adobe crop setting for my Nikons is "Original" but for the Fuji its "As Shot" until I hit the "Reset" button. I'm not applying anything to the files during import.

Its an easy fix but rather irritating so I was wondering if anyone else has seen this ?

Lightroom 4.3
camera firmware 1.04 (latest)

Nik, I think this is "by design". As I understand it, many of the latest generation of cameras allow the user to shoot using different aspect ratios (that's certainly now the case with my Canon 5D3), even though of course the raw file contains the full image of the "native" aspect ratio. The Lightroom guys had to respond to that, and for the first wave they "respected" the "as shot" aspect ratio and cropped accordingly on import, with no ability to "reset" that crop to show the full image. Subsequently they developed a "recover edges" tool which did allow the "lost" pixels to be recovered, although that required the image to be converted to DNG first. For later cameras, they imported the complete image although presenting it first in the "as shot" mode, but with the ability to reset back to the full aspect ratio (but that change wasn't retro-active for the first wave, so I'm, still stuck with the recover edges tool should I change the aspect ratio in camera).

Hope that made sense! I'm guessing that the X-E1 allows different crop ratios to be selected, and you've chosen 16:9? If not that, then I'm not sure what the problem is.

No aspect ratio can be selected in the camera when shooting raw. Which makes sense as its "raw" so should not be altered in camera.

I probably haven't explained it very well, and it may not work the same way with the Fuji.....but I think what happens is that information about the selected aspect ratio is still recorded somewhere in the makernotes section of the file header, even on raw files, which I guess Lightroom picks up and applies. Have you checked the setting in the Image Size section in the Menu Options when you set the image file format to Jpeg? Is is 16:9? ? Whether that's a bug or as designed, I don't know. Suggest an email to Eric Chan should clarify that, as he was heavily involved with this implementation.

It's like that on the Canon, so that the Canon supplied software (DPP) can apply the crop to the raw file....although DPP does allow the "reset back to original 3:2 aspect", but Lightroom sadly doesn't.

The aspect ratio setting is "greyed out" when using Raw Only in the camera menu.

Raw+jpg the image crop is the same for "As Shot" and "Original"
Raw only the image crop is different for "As Shot" and "Original"

I think it could be a bug in the Fuji firmware, maybe it is writing 16:9 in the makers notes and LR is interpreting that as an "in camera" crop. The lens correction for these camera's is built in to the makers notes and LR uses them for auto lens correction (hence it doesn't require lens profiles) so this *may* have something to do with it too.

Unfortunately I can't make a preset or set the "Defaults" to get around it at import time, I have to manually "Reset" all photos in grid before I start.

I guess its a small price to pay for not having to lug a D700 around anymore :whistling:

On a side note...

Converting my RAF's to DNG using lossy compression drops them down in size from 26MB to only 6MB and so far I can't see a difference in quality even when using highlight recovery.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back