From Mojave to Big Sur to Monterey/Silicon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leicakillen

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 11 Big Sur
Dear experts, thanks for a very good forum, I have learned a lot here! Now to my question: I have a MBA 2018 that started on Mojave. I could without problem install LightR 6.14 on the Mac based on the file on my Adobe account, import all my photos, develop, print etc. I have then updated the MBA first to Catalina, then to Big Sur - LightR is still running fine. If I would go for an M/Silicon Mac I hope to be able to transfer the LR app to the new system by using Time Machine or Migration Assistant. A clean install of LR 6.14 would of course not work. What do you say - would the LR app go over to the new M Mac? (A subscription LR is no alternative for me - too expensive).
Thanks
/Anders

. If I would go for an M/Silicon Mac I hope to be able to transfer the LR app to the new system by using Time Machine or Migration Assistant. A clean install of LR 6.14 would of course not work. What do you say - would the LR app go over to the new M Mac? (A subscription LR is no alternative for me - too expensive).
Thanks
/Anders
I would think that Migration Assistant might reject your LR6 app as incompatible. But this is only a guess. I think you are only going to hurt your self in the long run by trying to run obsolete software on the latest hardware and Operating systems.

If Lightroom is so important to you then you could probably look for other subscriptions (like streaming entertainment, phone,cable etc. to save yourself $10USD-mo. One less trip to the coffee shop a month would also get you a month of Lightroom Classic.

If none of these other cost saving options are feasible, then you probably need to look for an alternative to Lightroom6 that will run on your new M1 machine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lightroom 6 should not be incompatible. Of course it’s not M1 native, but I can’t believe that Migration Assistant will reject all non-native apps, at least not while Rosetta 2 is included in the version of MacOS. MA will reject 32 bits apps, but Lightroom 6 is 64 bits. My conclusion is that it might work, but there is no guarantee. If you cannot afford 120 dollar/year for a Lightroom plan, then it may be a good idea to not invest money in a new computer either. Stick with what works right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back