• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

From MacBook to iMac

Status
Not open for further replies.

LIN

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
3.x
Good Morning everyone.
Thankyou for all your great input and output on this forum, it looks like I may get the help I need here to solve this issue (Fingers crossed)
I am a user of the now old Lightroom3 but it works great for me and it is mine, I own a canon 60d and import photos via usb lead. Recently I had a MacBook which quite happily used LR3 and imported photos recognising the said camera above.
The MacBook failed on me and I had to make to investment on a new machine so I chose an iMac. The hard drive was copied over, all fine, everything there in situ but LR3 and Elements 13 had a ? sitting where their icon should be. I dealt with that and both open and operate fine apart from LR3 importing on usb cable? The iMac will not recognise the camera at all, in LR3 it does not appear as a source of import? Can anyone shed any light on this BIG problem for me as I am frantically losing faith in my abilities!!
Thankyou :)

The easiest solution is to buy a card reader. That is more reliable than connecting your camera to the computer anyway. Card readers are very cheap.

The easiest solution is to buy a card reader. That is more reliable than connecting your camera to the computer anyway. Card readers are very cheap.
Hi Johan.
Thankyou for your reply, very much appreciated but I really want to know 'Why?' it is not working anymore?
I have read about card readers all through the threads but some say the type of camera card you use many not be compatible either, thus being it may not be a solution for me either.

Hi Johan.
Thankyou for your reply, very much appreciated but I really want to know 'Why?' it is not working anymore?
I have read about card readers all through the threads but some say the type of camera card you use many not be compatible either, thus being it may not be a solution for me either.

I can't tell you why your camera isn't shown, I can only give you a solution. And a card reader is by far the best solution. Your camera takes SD-cards, so there should be no problem with any card reader that supports such cards (and that is every card reader there is). In fact, your iMac probably has an SD-slot at the back, so you don't even have to buy a separate card reader.

Your profile says that you are running Sierra now. If you ware using an older version of OS X, then it could be all in a change Apple made to detecting mobile devices. Does the ImageCapture app see the camera device? If ImageCapture does not see it, then the issue is related to difference between your old OS and Sierra. The iMac is using USB3 and the camera is USB2. Are you using a USB hub and connecting the camera to the iMac through the hub? In order to use the camera as a USB drive, the camera battery needs to supply all of the power. If the camera battery is old, weak and poorly charged, there may not be adequate power for the device to work properly

Your profile says that you are running Sierra now. If you ware using an older version of OS X, then it could be all in a change Apple made to detecting mobile devices. Does the ImageCapture app see the camera device? If ImageCapture does not see it, then the issue is related to difference between your old OS and Sierra. The iMac is using USB3 and the camera is USB2. Are you using a USB hub and connecting the camera to the iMac through the hub? In order to use the camera as a USB drive, the camera battery needs to supply all of the power. If the camera battery is old, weak and poorly charged, there may not be adequate power for the device to work properly
Thankyou both, Clee01l and Johan for your wonderful amazing help and explanations. The iMac has does indeed have a slot in the back and I have imposed the photos into LR3 just fine. Many Thanks again Johan for making a beginner aware :)
Clee - the iMac is 2013 and running sierra. The usb on camera is not detected on iMac at all. :(

The usb on camera is not detected on iMac at all
With that information, I'd say the issue has to do with changes made in Sierra. Perhaps Canon has a firmware update that will address this. That said, Johan's suggestion to use a cars reader is my preference too. (fewer pieces of hardware between the card and the computer).

With that information, I'd say the issue has to do with changes made in Sierra. Perhaps Canon has a firmware update that will address this. That said, Johan's suggestion to use a cars reader is my preference too. (fewer pieces of hardware between the card and the computer).

Thankyou Clee. I think I will go with the iMacs slot reader that seems to work just fine thank goodness. A brilliant suggestion I knew nothing of being a new iMac owner. i have now loaded the many photographs and feel relieved that I can connect once more to LR3. I have the latest firmware in the canon so I can do no more this end, Thankyou all for all your help it has been very much appreciated :)

I took a quick Google look at the issue. I saw no firmware update but I did see where Canon did update their software and canon utilities. Canon stated that some Canon models will never be supported on Sierra. Your model 60D is supported and did have an update on the Canon utility software for Sierra BUT this only related to using Canon's post processing software.

I took a quick Google look at the issue. I saw no firmware update but I did see where Canon did update their software and canon utilities. Canon stated that some Canon models will never be supported on Sierra. Your model 60D is supported and did have an update on the Canon utility software for Sierra BUT this only related to using Canon's post processing software.
Hi Clee, Yes your quite right. I did the same in a slim hope that I may find a firmware update for me but all I found was what you found - post processing. I don't use that hence LR3. I see in America that canon have an update for 60d but in England it does not apply! I tried. I have the current one and the camera is up to date a far as canon are concerned. Thankyou for spending time looking for me though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back