• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

frequent crashes with Lightroom 6.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

ceesjw

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Happy user of Lightroom for many years!
Started using 6.3, but already had to roll back to 6.1.1 due to serious crashes.

Had the same crashes with 6.0:
when working in Lightroom PC suddenly shuts down completely and starts up again, of course also leaving the database in an undetermined state.
In chat with support finaly Adobe admitted that there was an incompatibility between 6.0 and my video card Nvidia Geforce GT650
and that I had to wait voor 6.1; it got indeed resolved in that version.
After initial testing I did not use 6.2 like many others.

Now that 6.3 is there the old import screen is back
AND SO ARE THE CRASHES.

Today no chat possible with Adobe, will do as first action on Monday.
But as you may understand: this is VERY frustrating.

rgds, Cees

Hi, welcome to the forum.

First, have you disabled the "Use Graphics Processor" option on the Preferences>Performance tab?

Also, can you update your profile so that we can see was OS you're now running?

How old is the PC? The fact that it's the PC that's shutting down and restarting would point to a system malfunction rather than an application problem. Does it blue screen when it shuts down?

I did have trouble with my Nvidia Geforce GT640 card and frequent crashes.
If I remember correctly, I think I disabled and deleted the Nvidia drivers then re-installed with a fresh download from Nvidia.
I would guess it is 99% your graphic drivers causing the problem.
After a crash, look in Windows Event Viewer- and search for errors- you may find nvidia files in the list as a clue to your problem.

thanks Jim for providing feedback!
To answer your questions:
yes, I have disabled the GPU in Lightroom, no difference.
I will update my profile, but in June (at 6.0 introduction) I was running Win 8, now Win 10,
but crash behaviour is exactly the same as in June.
PC is from 2014. The crashes are only happening during activity in Lightroom.
When Lightroom is idle it does not happen, and no other program has ever caused these crashes.
No blue screen, screens turns black suddenly and then PC starts up again.
Several type of activity in Lightroom are causing this: import, development, etc.
I am back to 6.1.1 and everything is back to normal.

very happy to see the response!
Cees

Hi, welcome to the forum.

First, have you disabled the "Use Graphics Processor" option on the Preferences>Performance tab?

Also, can you update your profile so that we can see was OS you're now running?

How old is the PC? The fact that it's the PC that's shutting down and restarting would point to a system malfunction rather than an application problem. Does it blue screen when it shuts down?

Thanks for the info. Interesting that it doesn't happen under 6.1.1....the thing is, if we were to run that issue past the Lightroom engineers they would (probably unanimously) say that there's a problem on your system, as in their experience an application failure cannot crash the computer. I've seen this kind of report before, where a system crashes only while running Lightroom, and it's not unnatural for the user to think that it's Lightroom that causes the problem. Heck, that happened to me one or twice on my current old Windows desktop.....the problem turned out to be a blocked radiator fan on my CPU liquid-cooler causing the CPU to overheat and the mother-boards defence mechanism kicked in and shut the system down. It was only happening when running Lightroom because some LR activities (notably preview building and exporting) are very CPU-bound....so it looked like Lightroom causing the problem, but in reality it was a component of my PC that was the fault.

So normally I'd say "get your PC checked", but the fact that the problem doesn't happen when running 6.1.1 makes it more intriguing. You say that it crashes during import....but import is a series of sequential phases: phase 1 is the import itself, i.e. the adding or copying new images, and processing their metadata, and providing thumbnail previews in the grid and the filmstrip. Phase 2 is where standard or 1:1 previews are built, smart previews (if requested) are built, and face recognition (if enabled) processes the new batch. Phase 3 (optional) would be conversion of the raw files to DNG.

So, can you recall which phase Lightroom would be processing when the PC crashed?

thanks!
The log-file does not show anything related to de GPU,
it only shows the event as restart after a power-cut.
My video driver is up to date,
and also: Lightroom 5.7 and 6.1 performing perfectly..
could still be related to GPU, but in my view Adobe has to solve it.
appriciate your help!
Cees

I did have trouble with my Nvidia Geforce GT640 card and frequent crashes.
If I remember correctly, I think I disabled and deleted the Nvidia drivers then re-installed with a fresh download from Nvidia.
I would guess it is 99% your graphic drivers causing the problem.
After a crash, look in Windows Event Viewer- and search for errors- you may find nvidia files in the list as a clue to your problem.

OK, not sure what we can do now that you've moved back to 6.1.1. Do you run any kind of system monitoring, thinking mainly of CPU temps? Might be worth monitoring the CPU temp while running Lightroom, even on 6.1.1, just to see if the system runs hot? Just a thought, and it might serve to eliminate over-heating as a possible problem area.

Further on the temperature front, a great diagnostic is the free program Prime95. It's a program that searches for Mersenne prime numbers, but it has a powerful stress test that you can invoke. If you have a heating problem in your CPU, it will find it. If it cannot cause your system to crash, heat is definitely not your problem.

Thanks Hal, thanks Jim,
still have strong suspicion against Lightroom versions.
And.. I hesitate to dig too deep into computer problems.
It may go beyond my capailities and I am sure it will take an awful lot of time.
First I will contact Adobe support and see how far I can get with them,
Cees

Further on the temperature front, a great diagnostic is the free program Prime95. It's a program that searches for Mersenne prime numbers, but it has a powerful stress test that you can invoke. If you have a heating problem in your CPU, it will find it. If it cannot cause your system to crash, heat is definitely not your problem.

to update you after chat with support this morning.
Aparently it is not an easy thing to solve..
they tried several things, but had to escalate the problem to the next expertise level
and promised to get back when they have a solution.

btw CPU load cannot be the issue, I can hear the fan when the load is high,
but the crash also happens when the fan-speed is low.

You will know when I know..!
Cees

Crashes under LR CC 2015.3

I have the same problem. LR 5.7.1 working fine, LR 6.0 freezing, LR 6.1 working fine, LR 6.2 and 6.3 freezing.
Graphics accelerating disabled, face recognition disabled and so on.
Always freezing when starting the Develop Modul.

System information:
Version von Lightroom: CC 2015.3 [ 1052427 ]
Lizenz: Creative Cloud
Betriebssystem: Windows 10
Version: 10.0
Anwendungsarchitektur: x64
Systemarchitektur: x64
Anzahl logischer Prozessoren: 8
Prozessorgeschwindigkeit: 3,6 GHz
Integrierter Speicher: 32636,8 MB
Für Lightroom verfügbarer phys. Speicher: 32636,8 MB
Von Lightroom verwendeter phys. Speicher: 724,0 MB (2,2%)
Von Lightroom verwendeter virtueller Speicher: 694,4 MB
Cache-Speichergröße: 147,4 MB
Maximale Anzahl Threads, die Camera Raw verwendet: 8
Camera Raw SIMD-Optimierung: SSE2,AVX,AVX2
DPI-Einstellung des Systems: 96 DPI
Desktop-Komposition aktiviert: Ja
Monitore/Anzeigegeräte: 1) 1920x1080
Eingabetypen: Multitouch: Nein, integrierte Toucheingabe: Nein, integrierter Stift: Nein, externe Toucheingabe: Nein, externer Stift: Nein, Tastatur: Nein

Informationen zum Grafikprozessor:
GeForce GTX 770/PCIe/SSE2

Check OpenGL support: Passed
Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Version: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 359.00
Renderer: GeForce GTX 770/PCIe/SSE2
LanguageVersion: 3.30 NVIDIA via Cg compiler

Anwendungsordner: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom
Bibliothekspfad: D:\Lightroom Katalog\2015-07-11 1718\Lightroom Catalog.lrcat
Einstellungen-Ordner: C:\Users\Ralph\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom

Installierte Zusatzmodule:
1) Canon Tether-Zusatzmodul
2) DxO Optics Pro 9
3) DxO Optics Pro 9 Importer
4) DxO OpticsPro 10
5) DxO OpticsPro 10 Importer
6) Facebook
7) Flickr
8) HDR Efex Pro 2
9) Leica Tether-Zusatzmodul
10) LR/Enfuse
11) LR/Mogrify 2
12) Nikon Tether-Zusatzmodul
13) Perfect B&&W 9
14) Perfect Effects 9
15) Perfect Enhance 9
16) Perfect Photo Suite 9
17) Perfect Portrait 9
18) Perfect Resize 9

Config.lua-Flags: None

Adapter Nr. 1: Anbieter : 10de
Gerät : 1184
Subsystem : 118410b0
Version : a1
Grafikspeicher : 1989
Adapter Nr. 2: Anbieter : 8086
Gerät : 412
Subsystem : d0001458
Version : 6
Grafikspeicher : 70
Adapter Nr. 3: Anbieter : 1414
Gerät : 8c
Subsystem : 0
Version : 0
Grafikspeicher : 0
AudioDeviceIOBlockSize: 1024
AudioDeviceName: Lautsprecher (iFi (by AMR) HD+ USB Audio)
AudioDeviceNumberOfChannels: 2
AudioDeviceSampleRate: 44100
Build: Uninitialized
Direct2DEnabled: false
GPUDevice: not available
OGLEnabled: true

Why is LR 6.1 working, and 6.3 not? I can not understand it. And after years with Lightroom I am very disappointed!

Last edited:
How long does it freeze for mz1012? Does it sort itself out if you leave it?

thanks mz1012.. it is a relief not to be the only one.
Please also contact Adobe support, they should be aware if this is a more systematic issue.
There is no progress yet on the Adobe side.
Cees

I have the same problem. LR 5.7.1 working fine, LR 6.0 freezing, LR 6.1 working fine, LR 6.2 and 6.3 freezing.
Graphics accelerating disabled, face recognition disabled and so on.
Always freezing when starting the Develop Modul.

System information:
Version von Lightroom: CC 2015.3 [ 1052427 ]
Lizenz: Creative Cloud
Betriebssystem: Windows 10
Version: 10.0
Anwendungsarchitektur: x64
Systemarchitektur: x64
Anzahl logischer Prozessoren: 8
Prozessorgeschwindigkeit: 3,6 GHz
Integrierter Speicher: 32636,8 MB
Für Lightroom verfügbarer phys. Speicher: 32636,8 MB
Von Lightroom verwendeter phys. Speicher: 724,0 MB (2,2%)
Von Lightroom verwendeter virtueller Speicher: 694,4 MB
Cache-Speichergröße: 147,4 MB
Maximale Anzahl Threads, die Camera Raw verwendet: 8
Camera Raw SIMD-Optimierung: SSE2,AVX,AVX2
DPI-Einstellung des Systems: 96 DPI
Desktop-Komposition aktiviert: Ja
Monitore/Anzeigegeräte: 1) 1920x1080
Eingabetypen: Multitouch: Nein, integrierte Toucheingabe: Nein, integrierter Stift: Nein, externe Toucheingabe: Nein, externer Stift: Nein, Tastatur: Nein

Informationen zum Grafikprozessor:
GeForce GTX 770/PCIe/SSE2

Check OpenGL support: Passed
Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Version: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 359.00
Renderer: GeForce GTX 770/PCIe/SSE2
LanguageVersion: 3.30 NVIDIA via Cg compiler

Anwendungsordner: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom
Bibliothekspfad: D:\Lightroom Katalog\2015-07-11 1718\Lightroom Catalog.lrcat
Einstellungen-Ordner: C:\Users\Ralph\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom

Installierte Zusatzmodule:
1) Canon Tether-Zusatzmodul
2) DxO Optics Pro 9
3) DxO Optics Pro 9 Importer
4) DxO OpticsPro 10
5) DxO OpticsPro 10 Importer
6) Facebook
7) Flickr
8) HDR Efex Pro 2
9) Leica Tether-Zusatzmodul
10) LR/Enfuse
11) LR/Mogrify 2
12) Nikon Tether-Zusatzmodul
13) Perfect B&&W 9
14) Perfect Effects 9
15) Perfect Enhance 9
16) Perfect Photo Suite 9
17) Perfect Portrait 9
18) Perfect Resize 9

Config.lua-Flags: None

Adapter Nr. 1: Anbieter : 10de
Gerät : 1184
Subsystem : 118410b0
Version : a1
Grafikspeicher : 1989
Adapter Nr. 2: Anbieter : 8086
Gerät : 412
Subsystem : d0001458
Version : 6
Grafikspeicher : 70
Adapter Nr. 3: Anbieter : 1414
Gerät : 8c
Subsystem : 0
Version : 0
Grafikspeicher : 0
AudioDeviceIOBlockSize: 1024
AudioDeviceName: Lautsprecher (iFi (by AMR) HD+ USB Audio)
AudioDeviceNumberOfChannels: 2
AudioDeviceSampleRate: 44100
Build: Uninitialized
Direct2DEnabled: false
GPUDevice: not available
OGLEnabled: true

Why is LR 6.1 working, and 6.3 not? I can not understand it. And after years with Lightroom I am very disappointed!

I see that Chris Cox, one of the senior engineers, has already responded to the post at the feedback site, so hopefully he'll point you in the right direction. As I expected, he says that the application itself cannot directly cause the BSOD, it can only trigger a problem that lies elsewhere, such as faulty hardware or low-level driver problem. Providing him with more details in relation to the BSOD error codes should help work out where the problem lies.

hi Jim.. "Chris Cox has responded.." where can I find that? I have checked the site from your link, it is new to me, I have not issued the problem there, but only at this site and through Adobe support.

Cees, that link that @frozenframe has supplied is indeed the one I was referring to, but I was replying to @mz1012.

I'd be interested to know if you also see the BSOD before your PC restarts?

hi Jim (and Ron),
now I could find and read the link, thanks.
The correlation with his failure on Lightroom versions is 100 %,
but I do not get a blue screen, I get a power shut-down, after which the system restarts.
Nothing visible in the event viewer, just that the system has restarted.
Just made another update to the video driver (although the previous driver update was very recent).
If I have time this weekend I will go once more through the 6.3 update and likely again to roll back to 6.1,
I am getting experienced in rolling back...
Cees

Thanks. Not sure how it can be exactly the same problem if you don't get the BSOD, but maybe it is.

Have you tried running in safe mode for a while, just for testing purposes as that would take a lot of drivers out of the picture?

I amazed I get so much positive support from you guys, and so little up to now from Adobe.. They called me on Wednesday (welcome surprise!) and would call me back in 15 minutes, the call still has to come.. Probably I need to contact them again.
Going into safe mode.. that is something the Adobe support person tried, but I am not sure if it was successful. It is at the limit of what I would normally handle myself, but frustration helps to raise the yardstick..
Adobe has chance to score big!
Cees

OK, if you've got Adobe pursuing the problem, it's probably best if we step back for now while Adobe try to figure things out so that we don't get in their way. Let us know how it goes/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back