• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Frequency of monitor calibration for non-professionals

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
I just bought the Spyder X elite to calibrate my MacBook Pro. I have never done it. I ran the system and I am not sure what happens next. I just had completed the editing on a recent trip and had a couple of sample prints done before calibrating. They appeared more saturated. So I calibrated. Do my images change magically since I calibrated or do I need to re edit. My other question is since I have calibrated am I still able to add saturation. I am so confused. Help.
As mentioned, your images don't change. But often an uncalibrated monitor is much too bright and a little too cool. When you are editing, you look at the monitor and adjust the scene to your taste. But if the monitor is to bright, you probably are ending up with prints that are slightly dark. If the monitor is too cool, you make it warmer to compensate and your prints are too warm. So you probably will find that you need to re-edit some images. I would not do that as a large group or as a project - just edit as needed.

One trick I use to help with editing for prints is I use a white background in Lightroom. That helps me to compare the print to the paper and leads to a brighter print. I find gray or black backgrounds are better for assessing color.