• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you using the cloud-based Lightroom apps for iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, and Web? Then you'll love my book, Adobe Lightroom - Edit on the Go!

You'll learn how to use the Lightroom cloud ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also come to understand the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Freeing up cloud based storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

crbuckjr

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Lr. Latest update
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
  2. iOS
I am on a trip using LR Mobile on my iPad and getting a message that I can’t upload new pics because my 20 GB is full. I have an album that is synced but don’t need on my iPad, or in the cloud—-it is on my desktop back home.

can I delete these photos from the cloud storage to free up some space? .....and be sure to leave them on desktop

I have looked at the options for the album and don’t see that this can be done. I see an option that looks like it would free up iPad storage but wouldn’t free up cloud space.

any help would be appreciated

Hi crbuckjr, how were those photos uploaded? From the mobile app or from Lightroom Classic? I'm wondering if they're actually taking up cloud space.

Mobile app . Uploaded from my camera to iPad . I am doing a lot of editing before I get home and want to make sure the edited versions will sync to Classic on desktop when I get home

I do have a synced album that I don’t need and could delete from the cloud to free up space. But I don’t see how to do that.

Thanks much

As long as you're absolutely certain that these are safely synced to the desktop already...

Open the album's Grid view and tap the ... button. Tap Select, then tap the checkmark at the top next to the album name, in order to quickly select all. Then at the bottom, tap Remove, then Delete. That'll delete the photos from the cloud, so I repeat, only do it if you're sure that the photos are safely downloaded to LR Classic.

I went through the steps but chickened out. It says the photos will be deleted from “all LR photos “ and “all synced devices”. That sure sounds like it includes Classic on my desktop.

I went back and read the warning message on the cloud symbol. It says my. Storage is full and new photos will not be uploaded. It also says that edits to existing photos will continue to sync. So, I think I have enough downloaded photos to keep me busy on return flight. Then I can stop syncing the less important album from Classic when I get home to free up cloud storage.

Thanks very much for your help. I have learned a lesson about managing cloud storage....and using LR Mobile on a trip is great.

Thanks again

Chuck

Yeah, it's a scary message. Lightroom Classic isn't technically part of the Lightroom cloud ecosystem, so in Classic, they just get marked as "not synced" as long as they're safely downloaded.

Victoria

I am back home...here's the status.

Some, but not all of the pics I edited on the plane are synced to the desktop.

Desktop Classic says I am using 21 GB of my 20GB plan.

I am thinking I need to delete some photos on the cloud. I really only use it to store photos I want to edit using my ipad...say on a long flight. I am not counting on it for a backup.

I stopped the syncing of an unnecessary collection by stopping it on the desktop. But, that doesn't seem to be freeing up the cloud.

How can I delete photos on the cloud that I don't need there?

thanks

Chuck

In Classic, select the photos in the unnecessary collection then select the All Synced Photos collection in the Catalog panel. Right-click on one of the photos and choose Remove from All Synced Photos. That'll remove them from the cloud.

When I do the first step....and then the second....only the one selected in the second step is deleted. What am I doing wrong?

One important thing you have taught me....is that all the photos on the cloud are shown in All Synced Photos.....correct?

Very helpful

OK I have cleared my synced photos so that I now only have 2679 photos on the cloud....as shown by All Synced Photos.......... but the cloud symbol on my ipad still shows that storage is full and 466 photos are pending upload.

It has been more than a day.....I thought it might take a while to get the status updated.

....any next thoughts would be much appreciated.....you have been great in helping me through this

OK..very helpful

I have deleted many photos from the cloud. Now only have 2237 as shown by All synced Photos.....Ipad shows All Photos as 2681.

But Ipad cloud symbol still shows that I have outused my 20 GB.....and it has been several days....thought it might take a few days to catch up.

Still have trip photos on iPad that haven't made it to the desktop.

Ipad shows 384 Upload Pending.....

Desktop shows
49 syncing

in Preferences
Sync Activity
38 Uploading
43 downloading
85 pending

Still not finishing the syncing after getting usder the 20GB limit. Appreciate any help.

Thanks much

Chuck Buck

I'd take a look at the web interface to get a definitive answer on what's really in the cloud. You can log in at Photo Editor | Online Photoshop Lightroom and check both the number of photos synced and click on the cloud icon to see how much space is available.

I have 2292 pics on the cloud.....and 18000 deleted. Many of the deleted haven't been deleted for 60 days.....do they still count?

Cloud symbol still says I am out of space

thanks much

chuck

The ones that show in the Deleted section in the cloud don't count towards your storage, no. I think we might need some screenshots, particularly of the web interface space.

21GB does sound high for 2292 photos.

Have you checked your Creative Cloud files aren't taking up a bunch of that space? Adobe Creative Cloud

21GB does sound high for 2292 photos.

Have you checked your Creative Cloud files aren't taking up a bunch of that space? Adobe Creative Cloud

Surely that depends on the camera and file type? Unless my maths skills have gone seriously downhill, I could fill the 20GB allowance with about 1600 DNG images shot with the LR app on my iPhone8+....even less with Raw files from any of my dedicated cameras.

I hate to admit this, but I have concluded that iwth my new Z7 and their large size I probably did bust through their limit.........so I upgraded storage plan....

thanks for all your help...you have been great.....Chuck

I could fill the 20GB allowance with about 1600 DNG images shot with the LR app on my iPhone8+
Oh well spotted. Yes, you're absolutely right as usual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back