• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Force Rating to Image File

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul_DS256

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 7
I want to start backing up my pictures to a cloud account I have but I only want to save those images that I rated. I know that the rating is stored in the XMP and will be saved if I export the picture but I was wondering if there is any method to write the assigned LR rating to the rating on the image file so it can be searched for the backup? Thanks

Yes, that behaviour depends on the used fileformat as i wrote. You could do a test with DNG. Convert one of your RAW files to DNG, set the rating, save metadata to file and see it you back-up software can pick this up.

That would work Roelof. I'm trying to eliminate needing to prematurely create a DNG just to get access to the ratings assigned in LR.

I want to start backing up my pictures to a cloud account I have but I only want to save those images that I rated. I know that the rating is stored in the XMP and will be saved if I export the picture but I was wondering if there is any method to write the assigned LR rating to the rating on the image file so it can be searched for the backup? Thanks
Which cloud account? If it's Dropbox, then have a look at this: https://alloyphoto.com/plugins/dropbox/ They have a similar plugin for Box.

I use Amazon AWS for storage and Cloudberry as the backup client. I couldn't find a plugin for Cloudberry similar to the one you provided for Dropbox. BTW, Amazon's AWS Glacier storage is cheap. I store about 800GB and am charge CA$1.55/month. It is also the only service that I have received 4 price reductions over the years. The downside is they don't (or didn't) provide a good user friendly client which is why I use Cloudberry.

You could setup a publishing service in Lightroom, that stores a copy (in whatever form you want) of your five star images to a folder on your local drive. Then point the cloud backup software to that folder. The only disadvantage of this method is that you have to remember to check that service from time to time, because Lightroom does not automatically republish. The plugins work the same way, however.

Thanks for the tip. I hadn't explored plug-ins and there are also some for exporting files/information.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back