Folders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wytske

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
ok, so I am very new to this. I have just put 14000 photos on lightroom going back to 2005.
They are a real mix of things, and I intend to bin huge amounts of them and put them into folders. At the moment, there is just an "all photographs" .There are no folders at all. And the last thing I want to do is mess it all up!

I am also confused about the source, these phots were transferred from an old mac onto an external hard drive which then put the photos on the photos app. Then I needed help from adobe to get them into lightroom.
So you can see I haven't a clue. Any help is much appreciated but I need to add that the terminology freaks me out sometimes.
Many thanks in advance.

ok, so I am very new to this. I have just put 14000 photos on lightroom going back to 2005.
They are a real mix of things, and I intend to bin huge amounts of them and put them into folders. At the moment, there is just an "all photographs" .There are no folders at all.

That is simply not possible. If a photo shows in Lightroom in 'All Photographs', then its folder must be in the Lightroom folder panel too. There is no exception. What probably happened is that these folders are on a disk that is shown 'collapsed' in the folders panel. Click on the small triangle behind the disk name to 'expand' the view.

That is simply not possible. If a photo shows in Lightroom in 'All Photographs', then its folder must be in the Lightroom folder panel too. There is no exception. What probably happened is that these folders are on a disk that is shown 'collapsed' in the folders panel. Click on the small triangle behind the disk name to 'expand' the view.

Sorry, pressed the wrong button.
So if i look under folders( click on the black arrow) it shows
Mackintosh HD then below that desktop 13986 and below that images 13985 ( i know I had one internet image on desktop which I deleted).

That's it, but i want date folders by year. How do I go about that. Do I scroll through, select them, ( i can do that) and then what?

If you want dated folders, you'd have to do this when you import the images. Doing it after they have already been imported is one heck of a manual task. Did you do anything with the images other than importing them? If not, the best option is to read Victoria's free Lightroom guide and then start all over again.

Thanks for your help. I will start with reading the guide before I do anything else

If you have images in folders on the primary disk drive than are not date named folders, then you can start a new catalog and point the import to the source folders in the import source panel, choose MOVE in the middle panel and select a parent folder in the destination panelto receive the date named folders that LR will create based upon the creation date of the image file being imported.

You said that you got "help from adobe to get them into lightroom". Did they import to the Desktop folder or are the images in folders some where else? (i.e. subfolders of the Pictures folder?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back