• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Folders

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikepbres

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
4.x
Hi guys, I hope you can help. Not sure how this happen but here is my situation.

In the Library module under Folders there use to be two options: Macintosh HD and Main Drive. The Mac HD is the computers hard drive and the Main Drive is an external where I put all of my photos. The other night I shut down my computer and when I restarted it the Main Drive was gone but the photos were still showing up. I clicked the arrow on the Macintosh HD to see what was inside and it showed a weird path to my Main Drive. The folder titled / at the top doesn't show in the finder just in the path to the Main Drive. The photos are still actually on the external, because when I disconnect it the ? comes up on all the folders. I can't see the title on any of my shoot folders because they are pushed so far to the right. I just want to restore it to the way it was. I don't know if something was pressed accidentally before I closed out or not. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I have attached a screen shot so you can see the current look of the the folders. The Main Drive use to be under the Mac HD with the green light to the left of it as a separate folder.
Screen Shot 2016-03-23 at 6.56.32 PM.png

Welcome to the forum. The folder panel is showing you the 'real' path to the volume. However there is no external volume named "Main Drive" mounted at the standard mount point.
After we get the volumes mounted correctly, we can clean up the folder panel confusion.

The first what I would like to see is a Finder window showing your mounted volumes. It will look something like this:
LRScreen299.jpg

It should show the volume named "Main Drive" as one of the mounted volumes. If it does, right click on it and display the "Get Info" Panel and post a screen shot of that.

Hi Cletus,

Thanks for getting back to me.
Screen Shot 2016-03-23 at 10.43.53 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-03-23 at 10.43.28 PM.png

This is a screen shot of the finder and the info panel.

Hi Johan, This article was helpful, only one thing went wrong, went I got to step 4 and clicked hide parent folder on the volume tab the entire external disappeared not sure how to relink it now. Sorry I'm not that computer savvy. Here is a screen shot of what it looks like now.
Screen Shot 2016-03-24 at 6.34.27 PM.png

Just relink it like any other folder. Right-click on a folder that used to be on the external disk but has now changed to a temporary folder ('desktop', 'documents'?'), choose 'Update Folder Location' and navigate to the top folder on the external disk.

It should reappear if you simply restart Lightroom....

Hi folks, last week in working with a client I went to resolved this issue of drives showing as folders, by right-clicking on the \ folder and choosing Hide This Parent, and I got this message.

hide-parent-error.png

Any ideas?

Thank you!

Thank you, Johan. There isn't any duplication of folders.
folders error2.png

Are you suggesting doing a similar fix - like updating the location of the Photos Primary drive to some temporary folder, and then back to the drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back