• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you using the cloud-based Lightroom apps for Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Apple TV and Web? Then you'll love my new book, Adobe Lightroom - Edit Like a Pro!

You'll learn how to use the Lightroom cloud ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also come to understand the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • 17 August 2022 It's Lightroom update time again and there's a couple of minor improvements as well as new lenses and bug fixes! See this blog post for Lightroom Classic and this blog post for the Lightroom Cloud Ecosystem changes.

Folders or Albums

Tony_St

Lightroom Version
Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Version 5.3
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
  2. Android
I am totally new to Lightroom (cloud version) and have just uploaded around 7,000 images. Sorry to be so thick but I can't seem to figure is whether it's best practice to have folders within albums or vice versa. Until now I've been using Canon's DPP which has served me well but Lightroom seems to be a much better option especially when it comes to getting your pictures organised.

Any thoughts?

Kind regards

Tony

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Lightroom is the tool to organize your images. Albums can be grouped into folders if this is an appropriate organization FOR YOU. If you discover a better organization later you can change , Abandon folders and albums that no longer seem relevant.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
I can't seem to figure is whether it's best practice to have folders within albums or vice versa.
There is no "vice versa" when using Lightroom (cloud version). Images can either be left unorganised so would only appear when "All Photos" is selected, or you can add them to albums (which are virtual containers, so images can be included within many different albums if required). Albums in turn can be organised into sets, which Adobe decided to call Folders (which are again virtual entities, but here an Album can only be contained within one Folder). There can also be multiple layers of Folders.

So Folders can contain sub-Folders and/or Albums, but can not contain images. Albums can only contain images, so cannot contain Folders.

So in your case, start organising your images into Albums, then as you build your collection of Albums you might decide that it makes sense to start organising some of the Albums into Folders/Sub-Folders.

BobT

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
There is no "vice versa" when using Lightroom (cloud version). Images can either be left unorganised so would only appear when "All Photos" is selected, or you can add them to albums (which are virtual containers, so images can be included within many different albums if required). Albums in turn can be organised into sets, which Adobe decided to call Folders (which are again virtual entities, but here an Album can only be contained within one Folder). There can also be multiple layers of Folders.

So Folders can contain sub-Folders and/or Albums, but can not contain images. Albums can only contain images, so cannot contain Folders.

So in your case, start organising your images into Albums, then as you build your collection of Albums you might decide that it makes sense to start organising some of the Albums into Folders/Sub-Folders.
OMG, Adobe loves to confuse. Folders, sub folders and collections, I understand, the rest, no :rolleyes: