Folders - Expand all / Collapse all

Status
Not open for further replies.

JBtheLD

A simple question:

Is there a quick way of expanding and collapsing the folders in the Folder Panel so that I can see and then hide all the sub-folders on my Digital Photos drive?

My images are stored in a total of 785 yyyy/mm/dd folders so clicking on the small arrow to the left of each folder is too tedious.

Is there a quick way of doing this in Windows Vista too?

Thanks

John, I do not think you can do that in Lightroom. But since at least Windows 3.', you can expand all subfolders by pressing * on the numeric key pad or + to expand a single level and - to contract down from where you started. WARNING: Pressing * at the root can send your Windows Explorer for a long run!

Hold down the Alt/Option key as you click the folders.

John

John & Denis,

Thank you very much.

As you say, Alt / Option clicking on the arrow to the left of the folder names expands and collapses the folder structure just as I want.

Brilliant.

Thank you,

John

Glad it helped. Whenever you're doing anything in Adobe products, it's worth holding down the Alt/Option key and seeing what happens. Try it with

- Keyword sets and the number pad
- Sliders for Exposure, Blacks, Recovery
- The Detail panel sliders
- Adding a new line in Smart Collections (the +)
- Export button in Library's Left panel
- Anywhere in Develop's Right panel

That's just half a dozen that come to mind - I'm sure someone's done a list somewhere.

John

Glad it helped. Whenever you're doing anything in Adobe products, it's worth holding down the Alt/Option key and seeing what happens. Try it with

- Keyword sets and the number pad
- Sliders for Exposure, Blacks, Recovery
And Alt-Double-Click on those last two is just like AutoTone but limited to these!

Thanks for those extra nuggets!

I knew I could reset individual sliders by double-clicking on the slider's name, but had missed that Alt in the Develop Right Module offers Reset for each group of selections.

Thank you both - I'll put Alt to work straight away.

John

OOPS! As I wrote Shift-Doubleclick in a previous post, looks like I was just starting to see Alt everywhere... :cheesy:
I am using an Imac. which keys do I use to expand the folders or Keyword tree? Does this wior with collections? I find this confusing as I though the Alt's equivalent in Mac was Option. I tied clicking on a folder while holding the Options Key but it acted just the same as without the option key. I thought there was a way to show the higher levels in the hierarchy.

Opt-Click on a Mac (Alt-Click on Windows) on a parent folder/keyword/collection set will expand the complete hierarchy BELOW the parent if the parent is currently collapsed, or will collapse the hierarchy below if it is currently expanded. Is does not work on any hierarchy ABOVE the item that you click on. To show the higher level in a hierarchy Opt-Click on the topmost item in that hierarchy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back