• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Folders and PSE

Status
Not open for further replies.

HBarrison

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I have been using PSE since 2007 and really enjoy to filing system/organization. I recently swithched to Lightroom Classic for the broader editing features. I keep all my imagesm on a 5TB external, so room is not an issue. I am thinking of continuing to take my SD cards used on trips and upload to my "P" Drive using a temporary folder and from there review my imaages and decide on the final folders for selected images. Say I am in Antarctica and make a stop each day on a different island or floe. I upload my images in a generic Folder and then create new Folders for each day's shoot - NO EDITING of images for quality just subject.

Then I would upload to Lightroom Classic using the Drive and new folder for the Upload and then move the entire folder to the workspace for processing/editing the image in Lightroom. After the editing I generally delete the rejects and upload my keepers to Flickr Albums.
Am I missing something that would make my workflow FAIL - time is not a factor as this is my retirement hobby
:slightly_smiling_face:
- I do not do this as a profession and focus on TRAVEL, WILDLIFE, NATURE, in general - no weddings etc. Your thoughts.

I have been using PSE since 2007 and really enjoy to filing system/organization. I recently swithched to Lightroom Classic for the broader editing features. I keep all my imagesm on a 5TB external, so room is not an issue. I am thinking of continuing to take my SD cards used on trips and upload to my "P" Drive using a temporary folder and from there review my imaages and decide on the final folders for selected images. Say I am in Antarctica and make a stop each day on a different island or floe. I upload my images in a generic Folder and then create new Folders for each day's shoot - NO EDITING of images for quality just subject.

Then I would upload to Lightroom Classic using the Drive and new folder for the Upload and then move the entire folder to the workspace for processing/editing the image in Lightroom. After the editing I generally delete the rejects and upload my keepers to Flickr Albums.
Am I missing something that would make my workflow FAIL - time is not a factor as this is my retirement hobby
:slightly_smiling_face:
- I do not do this as a profession and focus on TRAVEL, WILDLIFE, NATURE, in general - no weddings etc. Your thoughts.

Do all of your organization in Lightroom Classic. You can begin by migrating your PSE library(?) into Lightroom. While organizing by folder has it limitations, there is nothing wrong with maintaining your existing folder organization.

In addition to the limited organization provided by the filesystem, In Lightroom Classic, you have a more flexible organization using Collections, Smart Collections and keywords.

For new imports I would suggest that you choose a default folder structure. After importing, you have a special collection of “Most recent Import”. You can in Lightroom work that special collection to move images into folders of your choosing using drag and drop. After you have culled the most recent import, you can delete any image remaining in that special collection. Your next import will contain only new imported images and the previously imported images not moved to a new folder will remain in will remain in the folder assigned at import but no longer available in the “Most recent Import” special collection because they were imported before the latest import.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back