• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Folder structure on import - nuisance

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwoolf

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic, ver 10.1.1
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I'm an original LR user, and have used import and export a lot over the years. There's one quirk I have never been able to figure out: Let's say I export a folder (as a catalog) from somewhere and that folder is a few hierarchies deep. When I import this into my primary catalog, it brings over the complete folder structure from the old location. Then I have to move it to where I want it. For example, here I have exported a catalog of the folder "Logan at Hearthwood." I want to import that folder to the Pups folder in the primary catalog. When I import, I get the following. The red shows where I want it to end up - as a folder directly under "Pups." All that other stuff, starting with "Pre-2013 Lightroom" is meaningless in the new location.

2021-01-25_20-38-05.jpg

Is there any way around this, without having to drag it where I want it?

Thanks.

In the import destination panel there is a folder that is highlighted. In your example, you want that to be “Pups” The if you create a new folder “Logan at Heartwood”, it will be a sub folder of “Pups”.

You need to pay attention to the highlighted folder in the destination panel.

If you always want the same folder highlighted, you can create an import preset having chosen all of the parameters that you want to use over and over including the highlighted folder.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In the import destination panel there is a folder that is highlighted. In your example, you want that to be “Pups” The if you create a new folder “Logan at Heartwood”, it will be a sub folder of “Pups”.

You need to pay attention to the highlighted folder in the destination panel.

If you always want the same folder highlighted, you can create an import preset having chosen all of the parameters that you want to use over and over including the highlighted folder.

It sounds like you are talking about the Import Dialog, - where you routinely import photos - and that is certainly straightforward. My question is specifically about importing a catalog. The catalog was created when I exported a folder as a catalog from a different machine. I specify the destination, "Pups" and when the catalog imports, all the folder hierarchy imports with it.

-D

When you import from another catalog and move the new images during import, the folder hierarchy that is created will reflect the differences between the two catalogs. What I normally do is first import the catalog without moving the images, and then move the images manually after the import is done.

It sounds like you are talking about the Import Dialog, - where you routinely import photos - and that is certainly straightforward. My question is specifically about importing a catalog. The catalog was created when I exported a folder as a catalog from a different machine. I specify the destination, "Pups" and when the catalog imports, all the folder hierarchy imports with it.

-D

Did I miss a mention of importing a catalog in your first post?
Johan is correct in that it is a manual process if the folder structure of the two catalogs is different.

When I created a travel catalog I would copy the master catalog to the travel computer and remove any images that were referenced in the travel catalog. When I merged the travel catalog back to the master catalog the folders are relative to the master catalog paths

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back