• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Folder Organizing Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

kitjv

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
v12.2
Operating System
  1. macOS 13 Ventura
Earlier this year I created a new folder for 2023. Like my other yearly folders, I assumed that newly-imported photos would automatically be listed within that folder by date of capture. However, I just noticed that my 2023 photos that I had imported into that folder were not listed by the date of capture within that folder. Two questions:

1. How can I list those photos in the 2023 folder by date?
2. How can I make sure that future photos will automatically be listed by date.

Thank you so much for your help.

How can I list those photos in the 2023 folder by date?
I can't think of an automatic way of doing this using the built-in features of Lightroom Classic. Sorting all the files in the 2023 folder by capture date, clicking on the first image of the day and Shift-clicking on the last, and then dragging the whole lot into the relevant subfolder will work, though it's going to be a pain if you have lots of days to move.

You might be able to do this task using Jeffrey Friedl's "Folder Watch" plugin with the "Enable the “Upon Import of a New Image” processing for all relevant newly-added images" option selected, but this is not really what the plugin was designed for and it could go horribly wrong! Back both the original files and your Lightroom Classic catalog up if you are going to try this!

How can I make sure that future photos will automatically be listed by date.
In the Destination pane of the Import dialog, check "Into subfolder", Organize "By date" and choose the desired Date Format that gives you subfolders. I use "yyyy/yyyy-mm-dd" (which Lightroom Classic displays with the current year, month and date in the dialog).

Earlier this year I created a new folder for 2023. Like my other yearly folders, I assumed that newly-imported photos would automatically be listed within that folder by date of capture. However, I just noticed that my 2023 photos that I had imported into that folder were not listed by the date of capture within that folder. Two questions:

1. How can I list those photos in the 2023 folder by date?
2. How can I make sure that future photos will automatically be listed by date.

Thank you so much for your help.
Yes, it is perfectly possible, and you certainly don't need a plugin here.

It just depends on the options you choose in the Import dialog box.

So here you can see that I am telling it (1) to organize "By date" , (2) picking the folder structure in the Date Format, and (3) telling it to build that structure from the Pictures folder.

1678472320527.png

You'll need to say more about exactly how you are importing.

Thank you, David & John, for the responses. By Ctrl-clicking on the selected photos, I was able to create a new folder within the year 2023 & move the respective photos into it. That resolved my first issue. Regrading the second issue....in the Import Dialog box > Destination, the only thing that was amiss was the year (2022) in the Into Subfolder box. For some reason, after I changed the year from 2022 to 2023, everything seemed to work perfectly. Not sure why that was the case, but all is now good with the world. Thank you so much!

One practice I always recommend is that every time you do an import, take a moment to review the Import dialog box. Look along the Move/Add etc options along the top, check the details in right hand panels and especially in Destination. Don't just assume it'll be right because all went well the previous time. So often, I encounter people having problems because of failing to do these quick checks. And it's such good advice that I even follow it myself! ;)

I always check because.
a. Bitter experience (and I am experienced enough not to make this error)
b. Cleaning up the mess of people who do not check.

The settings can be correct 99% of the time or have been working for the last 9 years…. but this one will catch you eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back