• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Folder and Image Visibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

MelissaA

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I have two questions. First one, is it possible to see thumbnail previews of iphone 11 in the import dialog? My important dialog shows "preview unavailable for this file" for all files. Second one, I have a large external drive which holds most of my images. It's called "Drive A". Occasionally it will show up as a source in the import dialog, but most of the time it doesn't. When I click on add a network volume, and than click on the drive that I want, it still doesn't show up in the source column. Suggestions?

I've always gotten a very timely response whenever I've posted in the forum. Considering it has been 24 hours since I posted my questions, I thought I would send another inquiry. I'm sure this must have just been overlooked, somehow, and look forward to a response.

I do not have any Apple devices so cannot speak to the iPhone11. However, it may help others if you indicate what file type the images are, were they captured with the iPhone Camera app or the LR camera App, what version of LrC are you running (e.g. 9.3) and on what operating system.

Also, copy some of the problem images from the phone to a folder on your regular computer and see if LrC will show you the thumbnails of the images in that folder.

On your other problem, I do not have network drives, only locally attached drives (drive plugged directly into USB port on my computer) so I can't speak to issues unique to Network drives. But, again, when LrC is not showing you one of these drive in the Import Dialog, flip over to File Manager or Finder and see if the drive shows up in those tools.

I do have an iPhone-6 and once-upon-a-time struggled to import photos to my desktop-PC LrC catalog.
Now it couldn't be easier-
Now all my phone photos are either taken by the Lr camera or added to Lr from the Phone camera-roll.
Then they all automatically download by syncing to my home desktop catalog- to a folder I have specified in Preferences.
No 'importing' needed.

"Drive A"- If your drive is the A: drive in your system- Windows has never allowed this so problems would occur.
A: =5"floppy, B: =3"floppy, C: =System hard-drive, D: is often a CD/DVD drive, E: and beyond for everything else.

I don't use my iphone for pictures that often - but am doing so more and more often for snapshot type things. I wasn't even aware that there was a LR camera? Should I be using that and is it an app I can get in the app store? Also, I don't quite understand your steps about downloading. What is your home desktop catalog. My catalog is a representation of the folders that appear on my hard drive. Could you explain this a bit further, please?

If I change the drive letter on my network drive, will it than show up in the import dialog? I've attached a screen shot of the network drive.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    8.5 KB · Views: 167
I note that you use the drive letter A. For historical reasons, a choice of A or B as drive letters can cause problems. In early versions of Windows, those letters were reserved for floppy disk drives. There are bits of code scattered through even modern apps that treat those letters as special and weird things can happen.

You could try re-assigning your drive letters to ones that come after C.

"Drive A"- If your drive is the A: drive in your system- Windows has never allowed this so problems would occur.
A: =5"floppy, B: =3"floppy, C: =System hard-drive, D: is often a CD/DVD drive, E: and beyond for everything else.
Not entirely true, "A:\" and "B:\" are reserved for floppy discs ONLY at boot time If no floppies are found then they are unassigned and available to be assigned manually. Many modern app unfortunately ignore these drive letters and begin with the first assigned disk drive (C:\)

OK. So the question still remains. How do I make this DriveA visible in the import dialog?

OK. So the question still remains. How do I make this DriveA visible in the import dialog?
Many modern apps unfortunately ignore these drive letters and begin with the first assigned disk drive (C:\)
. Lightroom is one of them. See Hal's post.

Thanks everyone! Changing the drive letter did the trick! Now, if anyone has suggestions for how to smoothly import iphone photos, I'd greatly appreciate it! I never have any problems importing from a media card, but lots of problems with the phone!

Oops. I spoke too soon. The drive letter changed just fine, but I can't get LR to recognize the change in the folder panel. I get an error message (attached) when I try to "find the missing folder".
LR Error Message.PNG

UPDATE. I restarted my computer, and when I opened LR, it automatically found the new and correct drive letter. However, now when I close LR and do a backup, after the backup finishes, my screen goes black and I'm getting another error message that says: "Can't find any file to show in the configured folder list." I would take a screen shot of it, but because the screen is black I can't get to the snipping tool. My screen comes back after I close the message box, but it's difficult to find and get the pointer in the message box in order to close it!

it's difficult to find and get the pointer in the message box in order to close it!
On Windows, the Escape key will close a message box. No need to use the mouse.

Oh sure, thanks. But, now the problem is that as soon as I get rid of the message, it pops back up again in a few seconds. Is there something I can do to eliminate this altogether. It certainly isn't normal, and it's very annoying!

That is not the error that is the problem anymore. it's the second thing I mentioned that keeps popping up and making the screen go black. The one that says, "Can't find any file to show in the configured folder list."

I now see that the error message is coming from gPhotoShow, a free software that I use for a screen saver slide show. Any thoughts about this? Do I need to get rid of the software in order to get rid of this annoying message. I've used this for awhile, but never saw this message before I started dealing with changing the A drive letter.

I figured it out! It's because the slide show folder was under the A drive letter. I needed to switch it to the new drive letter. All is well, I think!

That would fit your symptoms. Good work!

Hal
I don't understand your post about the cameras and lenses. Does this have something to do with the problem I was having?

I don't understand your post about the cameras and lenses. Does this have something to do with the problem I was having?
I think you're referring to my signature, which appears on all my posts and indeed has nothing to do with your problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back