• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Flatbed Scanner Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had a furkle around, just googled for Nikon Scan Windows 10 and found some familiar-looking links.

First, you need version 4.0.3 of the driver, which I thnk is for Windows Vista. There is what looks like a live link for download here:

https://www.nikonimgsupport.com/ni/NI_article?articleNo=000002646&configured=1&lang=en_US
Second, you might need to get some ancillary files. I found this article a long time ago, pre-windows 10, but I thibnk the info is still good:

https://axelriet.blogspot.com/2009/10/nikon-ls-40-ls-50-ls-5000-scanners-on.html
I think you only need to do these steps once, as you will then have the files for any future use. And I don't know whether it is needed for Win 10 anyway.

Having done all that, you also have to persuade Win 10 to accept the "unsigned" driver. This is my note on it, you may need to redo it after any major Windows update (typically twice a year, not every month thank goodness):

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The Nikon driver is unsigned so you need to switch off driver authentication at startup. For Win 10:

1. Install from the driver from downloaded ns403en.exe

2. Close everything, hold down Shift, and restart Windows. Follow options to disable driver signature checking.

3. Once it's rebooted, switch scanner on then go to Device Manager (should show it with a problem), right-click and update driver from this folder. Allow it to install the unsigned driver.

4. Switch off scanner, do normal restart of Windows.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

As I said, it's a bit of a faff but it has worked for me for a very long time.

Good luck, let us know how it goes!

John

John - thank you very much for taking the trouble to find this info. It looks and sounds a bit daunting but , if I have a crack at it , I will certainly report my progress.

The main problem with Win 10 is that it refuses to recognise the driver - it says it is "unsigned"
Not sure if this will help but try changing the the properties on the installer to run as Window's 7. Here's an example of where I can to change Adobe Acrobat to run as Windows 8.

1587245834771.png

John - thank you very much for taking the trouble to find this info. It looks and sounds a bit daunting but , if I have a crack at it , I will certainly report my progress.
It looks a bit daunting but as usual it is harder to describe than to do. The only hairy bit really is restarting your system while pressing the shift key - this brings it up in some sort of maintenance mode, if memory serves, and gives all sorts of warnings about the damage that you can do. As long as you follow the on-screen instructions carefully it should be pretty straightforward.

It is a shame it is so hard. Nikon is the villain here - Microsoft are being quite sensible in normally only allowing drivers that have passed their checks to be installed. These Nikon film scanners were really quite good so it is a real shame that they have dropped them like hot potatoes. I can't imagine it would be too much of a task to submit the driver to Microsoft for signing, but they just haven't.

John

I can't imagine it would be too much of a task to submit the driver to Microsoft for signing, but they just haven't.
I wonder if Vuescan would work with them? They provide their own drivers for devices and don't rely on the HW manufacturers from what I understand.

Nikon have done us no favours by dropping support fore these old drivers - and Windows doesn't help, every time it does a major update I have to go through the process of persuading it to accept the driver again.
It's the same on the Mac. Nikon stopped supporting the scanning software for my Coolscan film scanner many years ago. Fortunately, VueScan still drives that scanner in the current versions of macOS and Windows, which is good because after all these years I’m still not done scanning my old film…

I wonder if Vuescan would work with them? They provide their own drivers for devices and don't rely on the HW manufacturers from what I understand.

I am almost certain that Vuescan does, and Conrad immediately above confirms it. I downloaded the trial version a while back, and found a couple of samples that I must have scanned from negs.

Klaas - please tell me how you get the Nikon Scan software to work with Windows 10.

I have a Nikon 5000 ED and Nikon 4.0 software, and I have to keep an old Windows 7 laptop running, just for scanning.
I used Nikon Scan 4.0.3, but it didn't work either, so I de-installed it. Then I tryed the free version of Vuescan and this software works fine with my Nikon scanner. But then I installed Nikon Scan again and it suddenly works fine. Via the internet I learned, that Vuescan installed a driver for the scanner. This driver stays installed, even after I de-installed Vuescan.

But later I bought a full version of Vuescan and de-installed Nikon Scan. Vuescan was easyier to understand and to handle, at least for me.

Klaas

I used Nikon Scan 4.0.3, but it didn't work either, so I de-installed it. Then I tryed the free version of Vuescan and this software works fine with my Nikon scanner. But then I installed Nikon Scan again and it suddenly works fine. Via the internet I learned, that Vuescan installed a driver for the scanner. This driver stays installed, even after I de-installed Vuescan.

But later I bought a full version of Vuescan and de-installed Nikon Scan. Vuescan was easyier to understand and to handle, at least for me.

Klaas

Wow... !! It will be great if that works.....I will have to try it..... I bought Vuescan the other day and initially I am getting decent results with old BW negatives and I can scan them into my Windows 10 computer..... but I also make use of the multi-slide feeder on my Nikon 5000 scanner and so far, I prefer the Nikon software for that, so my Windows 7 machine is still in use.....I like to have alternatives, as there is no right or wrong way.....I also use an Epson V700 for scanning medium-format material.

My latest purchase (arriving in a couple of days) is a 40x30 cm light pad .... I have 25,000+ BW negatives taken by my Grandfather from the late 1930’s to the early 1960’s .... (He was a world-renowned amateur who exhibited at the RPS and the London Salon , but that’s another story) All of the negatives are in translucent sheets in ring-binder files..... The sheets won’t fit on my Epson flatbed, which I bought quite a few years ago, so up till now I haven’t really seen many of them, except for the 500 or so that he made into “Exhibition“ prints..... I am going to make “contact sheets” by laying them on the light pad and photographing with my DSLR, and then import into LR.

The translucent sheets will obviously not allow for perfect images, but plenty good enough for me to be able to catalog what I have, and then individually scan images of interest.

A question about your Nikon 5000 scanner: Vuescan should work with your scanner, even with the multi-slide-feeder. At least this is mentioned at the description at the Vuescan scanner list, see the Nikon Coolscan page. If not, contact them, Mr. Hamrick is most supportive, as I found out.

Klaas

If not, contact them, Mr. Hamrick is most supportive, as I found out.
This is good to hear. Others on the forum have not had the same experiences, and I was somewhat left with the impression that he would prefer to be contacted as little as possible.

--Ken

A question about your Nikon 5000 scanner: Vuescan should work with your scanner, even with the multi-slide-feeder. At least this is mentioned at the description at the Vuescan scanner list, see the Nikon Coolscan page. If not, contact them, Mr. Hamrick is most supportive, as I found out.

Klaas

I now have Nikon Scan, Epson Scan and Vuescan all running on my Windows 10 computer. I haven’t yet tried the multi-slide feeder but I now have plenty of possibilities - thanks to Klaas and Bikie John for their input and advice.

That's good news, thanks for letting us know. How did you get Nikon scan working - did you go through the (slightly scary) rigmarole of getting Win10 to accept the unsigned driver?

John

Klaas

John - I decided to buy Vuescan anyway, as it seemed to be selling at a discounted price when I looked. I loaded it and tried a few scans with my Nikon and with my Epson flatbed and it worked fine..... THEN , I had the reply above, from Klaas which suggests that the Vuescan driver will get the Nikon software working - and it does !! So when I installed the Nikon 4.0.3 on my Windows 10 computer, I just unticked the boxes when the installer prompted me to choose the Nikon drivers.... I fired up the Nikon Scan - and it works !!

Klaas seems to suggest that it works even with the trial version of Vuescan, so maybe it can be done for free, but I had already bought my Vuescan (which I am happy with) before I saw his reply, so now I am well loaded up on scanning software.

I missed that post from Klaas, that would be a great help. I installed Vuescan on trial but didn't really feel that it offered much so didn't pay for the full version. I will have to refer back to this thread if a Windows update causes problems again.

John

... Klaas seems to suggest that it works even with the trial version of Vuescan, so maybe it can be done for free, but I had already bought my Vuescan (which I am happy with) before I saw his reply, so now I am well loaded up on scanning software.
Sorry, but jou did a big mistake with installing working scanning software. Now you have to spend a lot of time (months or even years) with scanning :) I'm experiencend now, believe me :) But Corona and a closed nation are most helpfully for saving spare time for scanning :) The last two years, but mainly the two last months I scanned about 9,500 slides. When this process is over, I'm going to start scanning my negatives.

Klaas

Sorry, but jou did a big mistake with installing working scanning software. Now you have to spend a lot of time (months or even years) with scanning :) I'm experiencend now, believe me :) But Corona and a closed nation are most helpfully for saving spare time for scanning :) The last two years, but mainly the two last months I scanned about 9,500 slides. When this process is over, I'm going to start scanning my negatives.

Klaas

You are right Klaas !!.... I have just finished “scanning” (using DSLR, tripod and light box) nearly 500 pages of negatives in translucent sheets - approximately 20,000 negatives.... now I will be splitting each page into 14 JPEGs, and keywording the resulting 7,000 images.... then I will have a better idea of what is in the archive that I inherited. Then I can use my Nikon scanner to make high quality scans of interesting images.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back