Fixing a mistake - accidentally applied same develop setting to whole catalog

Status
Not open for further replies.

lemayz

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Hi everybody,

I am a beginner in Lightroom and new to this forum. I am hoping to get some help with a very silly mistake that I made:

[h=6]I have been editing some 200 pictures in Lightroom over several days. Today I went in to edit, and thought perhaps the pictures I edited before looked different, but didn't think anything of it. So I edited about 30 pics that I hadn't yet gotten to. Now, looking at the pictures I edited in previous days, I realize something happened and the SAME develop setting got applied to ALL of my pictures in the entire catalog. I am assuming when copying and pasting setting to a specific picture, perhaps I clicked "select all" and applied it to all of them. Any idea how to fix this? I could click "undo," but that would take a LONG time and I would lose all of the edits I did today. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks...!
[/h]

Welcome to the forum. If you have not quit LR and ended your session clicking undo {Cntl}{Z} is the easiest and quickest way. If you have closed LR and lost your 'undo' history, you need to look for the {Oops} key on your keyboard.

You are probably not going to find the {Oops} key. (I know I did not. ) What you will need to do is tedious if you don't have a catalog backup that occurred before "Oops". Of you do have a recent backup, you have to determine the edits made after the backup involve more work than going into each affected image's develop history to the history step before the mistake and removing the history steps that follow. You can remove the latest history step by adding a new (minor) adjustment to the develop history .

Last edited:
I have, unfortunately, closed the session. I can't seem to find this "Oops" key that you are referring to...can you please elaborate a bit more?

I also thought that perhaps in the "history" bar (sorry, I can't remember what it's called but it's the bar that's on the left hand side in the Develop module) in each picture, I might be able to undo all of the changes? Or is that history only saved for the session and not afterwards?

Thanks

To be honest, if you are only talking about some 200 pictures, it might be easier to scroll through them in the Develop module and simply step back in the history panel to the entry just before the 'oops'. Yes it'll take a little while, but once you get up to speed you'll probably be able to clear the task in 20-30 minutes.

The history is a permanent record of changes to an image (unless you otherwise clear or reset it), and you can step back to any point in the history by just clicking on the relevant entry.....be warned though that if you select an earlier entry, and then make another adjustment, that adjustment becomes the latest entry in the history and replaces ALL the history steps after the selected point. It'd be worth just having a play with that on a test image, just so you understand how it works.

Hahaha, boy do I feel silly about my "Oops Key" response......oops! I really thought that maybe there was some kind of better undo button that didn't get erased once I logged out of Lightroom.

Anyways, thanks for all of the responses! I ended up doing what I proposed in my second post, and what TNG confirmed. It did take awhile, but at least I was able to recover my pictures.

Thanks, everyone, for your help!!!

Actually, the "oops" key is right next to the "any" key, but only on better keyboards. ;)

Hal

"Press any key to continue or any other key to cancel" :nod:

Sorry for the off-topic post.

Not to worry. The thread had veered totally off-topic long before.

Great site, by the way!

Hal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back