Fixed! - LR 2.5 - Camera profiles all gone (apart from defaults)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pjamedia

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
I was just editing a set and the reds were off by a mile, so I figured I'd go check out the Camera calibration panel - low and behold, all my custom camera profiles are missing from the list. I'm left only with the default options.

Now I'm not sure if this is as a result of upgrading to 2.5 or if it was due to another PC problem I had around the same time which resulted in me creating a new user profile in Windows. I did however copy across all of the settings from my old profile, including the path: C:Users<username>AppDataRoamingAdobeCameraRawCameraProfiles and all its contents, which include my custom made profiles (created in DNG profile editor).

Has something changed in 2.5 regarding the path to the user's custom profiles?

Thanks in advance, Paul A

Re: LR 2.5 - Camera profiles all gone (apart from defaults)

Paul,

Have you tried putting the profiles into the "All Users" directory, where the default profiles reside??

Beat

I copied it to C:\Users\All Users\Adobe\CameraRaw\CameraProfiles\Camera\Canon EOS 5D Mark II and LR does manage to find it there - but this is clearly a bug, as the standard location for user profiles is not picked up any more in this version (as it was in 2.4 and previous versions).

Thanks, Paul

Paul, I may be mistaken, but I believe the \All Users\ tree is the correct location for the camera profiles. I believe the \your_user_name\ convention arose when the DNG profile editor was in early beta release. (But my memory is frequently suspect) :)

Heres' a direct quote from Adobe Labs: http://labs.adobe.com/wiki/index.php/DNG_Profiles_FAQ#WhereInstall

Where are the new profiles installed on my computer?

On Mac OS X:
/Library/Application Support/Adobe/CameraRaw/CameraProfiles

On Windows 2''' / XP:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Adobe\CameraRaw\CameraProfiles

On Windows Vista:
C:\ProgramData\Adobe\CameraRaw\CameraProfiles

OK - I have found a fix for this problem (rather than a work-around):

If you locate your personal profile directory (the XP path is in the above post, the Vista path is:
C:\Users\..user..\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\CameraRaw\CameraProfiles

in here you will find a file called index.dat - close LR, delete this file and launch lightroom, and hey presto, your profiles are available again!

I figured this when I added a new profile to this directory and it was instantly available, but my old profiles still weren't even though located in same folder. This file must index the profiles and the upgrade must have reset it in some way. Anyway seems to be fine for me now!

Cheers, Paul A

[quote author=Brad Snyder link=topic=8384.msg56836#msg56836 date=1258238519]
Paul, I may be mistaken, but I believe the \All Users\ tree is the correct location for the camera profiles. I believe the \your_user_name\ convention arose when the DNG profile editor was in early beta release. (But my memory is frequently suspect) :)

Heres' a direct quote from Adobe Labs: http://labs.adobe.com/wiki/index.php/DNG_Profiles_FAQ#WhereInstall

Where are the new profiles installed on my computer?

On Mac OS X:
/Library/Application Support/Adobe/CameraRaw/CameraProfiles

On Windows 2''' / XP:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Adobe\CameraRaw\CameraProfiles

On Windows Vista:
C:\ProgramData\Adobe\CameraRaw\CameraProfiles
[/quote]

Brad,
The adobe labs article refers to the new Adobe supplied profiles, rather than those custom profiles you can create yourself with the DNG Profile editor. Sure, you can add your own custom profiles to the above paths (well, within the sub-folder camera\<camera model name>, and they will work, but DNG Profile editor suggests the user specific path by default. Cheers, Paul

I also think the user specific path makes more sense for customized profiles, as they are then well separated and protected from where the installation puts its profiles.

Beat

I am having the same trouble only in Windows 7. In the camera calibration window in lightroom, I can only click the button on the right, and get "Embedded" with a large check mark in a box.
The hiarchy of the folders is different than XP and somewhat different from vista, in the users folder I have these choices:
C/Users/
Public
Tollie

C/Users/tollie/appdata/local/adobe/camera raw/cache/ CAMERA AND ADOBE STANDARD profile folders

C/Users/tollie/appdata/roaming/adobe/camera raw/ camera profiles/CAMERA AND ADOBE STANDARD profile folders

Public, and Default folders make no reference to adobe.
OH, did I mention I do not have the defaults either?

Hi tjperry, welcome to the forum!

Embedded would usually be for a rendered file (jpeg/tiff/psd) - are you definitely looking at a raw file?

Thanks for the quick repley Victoria.
I checked the file format on all photos located on my 1.5tb external drive and for some reason they all are showing up as TIFFS.
I find this very strange as they all where RAW prior to changing over from XP. Can you by chance explain it, or is there a way you know to revert the data back to RAW.

I still have images on the CF card, is there any way I can verify they where RAW prior to upload?
I use
Nikon transfer for uploading and do not see any coversion button or dropdown option there.

UPDATE: :D I checked my previous data backups from last month, they do show up as NEF files, however, it seems that all backedup data from my new install of windows 7 and LR show up as TIFFS.
Which is good as I have all my originals in RAW format. (backups work! :icon_mrgreen:
But that still has not resolved what is causing the conversion, so I am hesitant to move all my old files over to replace my working copies. :'(

Any idea on where to go from here? I know I will loose my past week or so of edits, but I can live with that. I have my old RAW data, and my latest RAW data on my CF card.

But need to find the reason before I proceed .

Can you actually see the extension on the file names has changed to .TIFF or is windows just assuming the .NEF files are TIFFs and displaying them incorrectly.

Sizz,
I went back to the source and found that my camera settings had inadvertently been set to record as TIFF, my error, and a good lesson to be learned here:
Always check camera setting prior to any new adventures.
Meanwhile I will go back and check all preferences including back up drives and such as my computer has now been transformed to somewhat of a familiar system.
Sorry I wasted so much time.
Toll

[quote author=tjperry link=topic=8384.msg6'611#msg6'611 date=1264193414]
Sizz,
I went back to the source and found that my camera settings had inadvertently been set to record as TIFF, my error, and a good lesson to be learned here:
Always check camera setting prior to any new adventures.
Meanwhile I will go back and check all preferences including back up drives and such as my computer has now been transformed to somewhat of a familiar system.
Sorry I wasted so much time.
Toll
[/quote]
Please repeat "I will check my settings" 1''' times!!

[quote author=Kiwigeoff link=topic=8384.msg6'613#msg6'613 date=1264194458]
Please repeat "I will check my settings" 1''' times!!
[/quote]

Geoff,

Since you're talking about it, I will repeat it 1''1 times also :D :D :D

Beat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back