• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you using the cloud-based Lightroom apps for iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, and Web? Then you'll love my book, Adobe Lightroom - Edit on the Go!

You'll learn how to use the Lightroom cloud ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also come to understand the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Finding photos that are not in an album?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jemostrom

Premium Classic Member
Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Latest CC version
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.14 Mojave
  2. iOS
I’ve been trying to find a way to find photos that are not in an album but I must be missing something. How can I do this?

In the Search bar, start typing "not in any album:" (without quotes). As soon as you've completed the first word, you should see a list of entities shown below the search bar, near the top will be "Not in any album". Click on that and the grid will populate with all the photos that aren't in any album.

In the Search bar, start typing "not in any album:" (without quotes). As soon as you've completed the first word, you should see a list of entities shown below the search bar, near the top will be "Not in any album". Click on that and the grid will populate with all the photos that aren't in any album.
Search bar? How do I bring up this up?

Phil

Search bar? How do I bring up this up?

Phil
First of all, you need to be using the "cloudy" version of Lightroom.....then you can't miss it, it's top dead centre of the window.

First of all, you need to be using the "cloudy" version of Lightroom.....then you can't miss it, it's top dead centre of the window.
Oh. I am using the "earthbound" version of LR, or should I say the "groundy" version.

Phil

Oh. I am using the "earthbound" version of LR, or should I say the "groundy" version.

Phil
Talking about confusion. The ‘cloudy’ version Jim is talking about is what used to be called Lightroom CC. This version has a search option at the top middle. Lightroom Classic has a search filter at the top of the grid, but as it has no albums, all its images are not in any album.

Thanks - that is useful to know as I had been wondering about that but had not got to it yet

I have updated both desktop and ios app to the latest and can't get it to find 'Not in any album' ( without quotes) to work in the search bar of desktop.
Any ideas?
Thanks
Ipados14 LR v6.0.1 and Mac os with LR 4.0

I have updated both desktop and ios app to the latest and can't get it to find 'Not in any album' ( without quotes) to work in the search bar of desktop.
Any ideas?
Thanks
Seem to work for me (tested on macOS, LR 4), as far as I know it can't be done on iOS

Any ideas?
Thanks
How are you trying? You should be able to click in the Search Bar, that displays all the searchable facets, including Album. Click on Album and scroll to the bottom of the resulting list where you should find "Not in Any Album".

when I put in the word album in the search bar it comes up but no resulting list....

I don't understand why you are "putting the word album" into the search bar. Just clicking in the empty search bar should produce this display:
search.PNG

Then click on the word Album to get the list of albums with "Not in any Album" at the bottom.
If you really want to type the word, type "Album:" - note the colon after the word.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back