• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you using the cloud-based Lightroom apps for iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, and Web? Then you'll love my book, Adobe Lightroom - Edit on the Go!

You'll learn how to use the Lightroom cloud ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also come to understand the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Finding photos for a given catalog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray Thompson

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
any
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.15 Catalina
I've heard over and over: "You don't have to know where your photos are on your computer because LR knows!" Well that may sit well with some, but I would like to know how I can find photos (see the in the Finder) that go with a particular catalog. Why? One reason is: I wish to store them WITH the catalog. Te 2nd reason is I wish to move/export them to a common storage medium, i.e. external drive. Thanks!

So what is exactly your question? How to find the catalog if you see the image on disk in the Finder? There is no way to do that. Except if you do what most people do: use one single catalog.

The opposite, how to find an image in the Finder when you see it in the catalog, is simple. There is a menu for that under the Photo main menu: ‘Show photo in Finder’.

In LR under a particular catalog you can right click on any folder and you have the option to "show in explorer" (Win 10). However, if your photos are scattered around various drives then it is going to be quite a laborious task to locate each photo.

Why? One reason is: I wish to store them WITH the catalog. Te 2nd reason is I wish to move/export them to a common storage medium, i.e. external drive. Thanks!
Maybe i do not understand your question but why not open each catalog and move all photo's inside to a single masterfolder on the location of your choise. Then you know where all photo's from this catalog are.

Can you clarify the Lr version you're talking about? 'any' tells us nothing; you posted this under 'cloud-based' where the photo location is the cloud; yet you talk of catalogs, which indicates either Lr 1-6 or Classic. We can't give useful advice if we don't know the version or the specific question.

In LR under a particular catalog you can right click on any folder and you have the option to "show in explorer" (Win 10). However, if your photos are scattered around various drives then it is going to be quite a laborious task to locate each photo.
Which is an argument for a top-level folder name like "Photo", with a date-based organization of subfolders. Then all you need to do is look at the thumbnail info in the GRID view to see the date (and time) of the file. I'm sure that there are other approaches which will also work. But the key issue is to consolidate photos onto one drive if possible.

Phil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back