• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Finding master images and all virtual copies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bs1925

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Hi

I do have a collection containing virtual copies - now I want to find all other virtual copies (plus its master image). For one image I can do this manually using the metadata panel ("Go to Master" on "Copy Name").

But I want to find all copies and masters of the whole collection!

OK - there is a manual workaroud - exporting the filenames with LR/Transporter and marking all images on using the before generated output file again with LR/Transporter and filter on "Marked by LR/Transporter". This takes some time with >100k objects in the catalog!

So any other solution idea or plugin would be very appreciated!

regards
Bernd

Last edited:
Thx -

I know, but I do have variuos virtual copies inside the collection - and I want to find the master & its virtual copies which are inside other folders

regards Bernd

I know, but I do have variuos virtual copies inside the collection - and I want to find the master & its virtual copies which are inside other folders
  • Open the collection in grid view.
  • Filter on Virtual Copy.
  • Select all of the virtual copies.
  • turn off the filter.
  • If sorted on file name, the master copy will be next to the selected virtual copy. If the master copy in not in the collection, you will need to go to the folder in your library to find the associated master.

Thx -

but the collection contains virtual copies of various folders - and I want to isolate all images (including masters and virtual copies)

Since the master copy does not reside in the collection with the virtual copy, you will need to follow the second part of my last bullet point. There is no relationship between a virtual copy image in a collection and the master copy of the image. Both copies share a common original file stored in a filesystem folder. The folder panel is where LR presents both virtual and master copy together. The terms Virtual Copy and Master Copy refer to the develop history not the image file itself.

I have another workaround which may work for you.

Export file names as text with Export List. Another way is to export photos and then go to export folder with command line and use 'ls' resp. 'dir' command.

Create a plain text file named "Find Masters.lrsmcol" with your favorite text editor. Insert text like this:
Code:
   id = "6F2F1BD5-B000-4EE1-9800-43D8E6FE1F53",
   internalName = "Find Masters",
   title = "Find Masters",
   type = "LibrarySmartCollection",
   value = {

{criteria = "filename", operation = "any", value = "IMG_4618", value2 = "",},
       {criteria = "filename", operation = "any", value = "IMG_4578", value2 = "",},
       {criteria = "filename", operation = "any", value = "IMG_4842", value2 = "",},
       {criteria = "filename", operation = "any", value = "IMG_4981", value2 = "",},

combine = "union",
   },
   version = 0,
}

It should be fairly easy to create string `{criteria = "filename", operation = "any", value = "IMG_4618", value2 = "",},` out of `IMG_4618.jpg` using "Replace" function of you text editor. Or write a tiny script for this.

Then you can import such text file as Smart-Collection. The Smart-Collection will contain all Master-Files and Virtual Copies.

I don't know whether it works for 100k photos but for a couple of hundreds it is working fine.

I found a quicker and easier way than creating a text file for Smart-Collection. With Plugin Photo list importer you can do it much faster. But it is not for free.

Has this been incorporated into Lightroom? I have a Collection containing Virtual Copies from multiple folders and I would like to be able to select the Masters of the Virtual Copies and batch change their keywords.

In my current case the Photos are all recently edited, so I will be able to group my Photos by using the edit order and other keywords, but I would like to know if there is way to do this without relying on edit order. I'm happy to use any plug-ins. Thx.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back