• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Finding duplicates problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikebore

Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Version Number
Classic 9.2.1
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.15 Catalina
I have just been experimenting with the Teekesselchen duplicates finder plugin mentioned in this article.

As a first test I only applied it to a collection of 350 photos that I know has many duplicates.

Complete disaster! While it found many correct duplicates, it also marked both copies of several photos for deletion. Obviously I didn't proceed to delete anything, but reset the flags and keywords back, and deleted the smart collection.

I used the default settings in the plug in.

Any ideas what I might have done wrong for this to happen?

Is the other (not free) plugin "Duplicate Finder" known to be better?

Thanks

I may need to retract my previous post. I have found that at least for some pics there was a third copy so it wasn't deleting both.

I have been experimenting with Duplicate Finder as well, and finding similar problems in trusting what I see to the point of having the confidence to delete anything, and also in knowing which to delete bearing in mind it is all sync'd with my Cloudy library. What I would really like is to see all copies of the same photo with the ones it is going to delete clearly marked, and an easy way to see which collection they are in. That doesn't seem as easy as I expected.

Any good tips welcome but I will probably work it out by trial and error

When it wants to delete, can you just mark it with a reject flag or a color or something so you can sort and collect and review separately, later?

When it wants to delete, can you just mark it with a reject flag or a color or something so you can sort and collect and review separately, later?
Yes it will automatically flag duplicates but that is putting off the task. I want to try and avoid going back later, hoping I could see all versions at the same time and select the one to keep. But at the moment it seems like a more detailed review of each tends to be needed. Still experimenting. It may be a multipage process adjusting the rules. I have thousands to deal with.

I have thousands to deal with.
Good thing we're all trapped in covid-world. I've spent more time organizing and culling than ever before. I just looked and have deleted about 8000 images. The problem is that's less than 10%. And I have very few duplicates, I'm just deleting old crap no one will ever want to see. But I also go off on tangents and try to organize, and keyword, and face tag, and publish new galleries because who knows, my family may want to see the 1971 trip to the Smokies......

The coroners photos of my dead body (at least 50 years from now of course!) will probably have lightroom up and my hand on the mouse. ;)

Ha Ha so true! I have 79k in my library and maybe 3-4k duplicates, but 30-40k should probably be culled, and better use of my time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back