• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Find selected image after scrolling away from it

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlanHaynes.com

alanhaynes.com
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Tell me if any of you know a shortcut to accomplish this common task:
  1. In LR Classic's library module, I'm viewing the contents of a folder or collection that contains hundreds of images in grid mode.
  2. I click on one to select it.
  3. I scroll through more images and decide I want to go back to the selected image which is somewhere in those hundreds of images, but I don't remember exactly where.
  4. Now, I have to scroll back through the images. watching for the highlighted, selected image to appear in the grid.
Is there a keyboard shortcut or other easy way to go instantly back to that selected image? I think not, but I'm hoping someone has discovered a secret for doing this. I know there are workarounds such as color labels and flags, but is there some built-in mechanism to simply jump to the selected image?

Yes, that is very easy. Press the right (or left) cursor key. That will select the next image and make Lightroom jump back to that part of the grid. Now press the left (or right) cursor key to select the original image again.

Thanks Johan. That's an easy solution that I probably knew about at one time, but that brain cell must have died off over time. :rolleyes:
It's interesting that the I can't go directly to the selected image, but have to jump to the previous one and them move over one. And the selected image becomes deselected in the process.

I also just discovered that if I have multiple images selected, the left arrow key will jump to the last one and another press will jump to the previous one, and so on. In this case, all of the selected images DO remain selected -- as opposed to what happens when a single image is selected.

Last edited:
This is probably overkill for your particular question, but John Ellis' Any Source plugin invaluable. I primarily use its ability to keep track of your previous source, filter, and selection combinations on an ongoing basis during a LR session. So, if I have moved from a particular image (or source) to another one, and then another one, etc., I can go back up the list with this plugin. I find it invaluable.

I have a similar desire so Googled 'Lightroom Breadcrumbs' and found this Anthony Morganti YouTube on the built-in 'breadcrumbs' on the film strip. This native LR capability works at the collection/folder level. I would be nice to have granularity to the a single image level but there is the complexity of determining when an image is viewed (Loupe view) and the hundreds of images that could result. Anyone know of an image level 'breadcrumb'?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back