• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Filter wont work on part of the photo HELP PLEASE

Status
Not open for further replies.

selsong

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
HI

Occasionally I try to use the Graduated filter and find that in wont operate on part of the photo. For instance it will work on the lower half of the picture but not the top

Any advise would be really helpful

Many thanks

Welcome to the forum. Let me explain how the graduated filter works and then perhaps you can tell me how it is not working for you. Below, I have applied a desaturation filter on a color image. The first diagonal line on the left marks the point where 100% desaturation ends. The middle line (with the anchor pin) marks the middle of the transition area as the filter graduates from 100% filter to 0% filter. The right most diagonal line marks the end of the graduated filter. Every part to the right of this line has no graduated filter applied. The active filter will always show these three lines. You can drag the left and right lines to make the graduated area larger or smaller. You can grab the middle line to rotate the graduation area around the anchor pin.

LRScreen156.jpg

HI there . thank you for your reply, and your explanation. I do understand how the filter works, but I see I did not express my problem correctly.

When I say that the filter wont work on the top half of my photo, what I mean is: if I try to make a new filter, it will not allow me to insert one in the top half of the photo, but if I move my mouse to the lower half, the new filter will appear and let me insert it there and use it normally. Also If I move the new filter to the top half, it will go there, but it will then not let me alter it in any way. I have to actually UNDO my last few moves to delete it.

Its almost like there is some selection which will not allow me do work inside of it.....well that how it seems to me :)

This issue does not occur normally, and has only happened a few times. Its quite weird when it does occur.

I hope I have made myself a bit clearer :)

Thanks again

I'm not certain why you are getting this. Is the "Show Edit Pins" dropdown box on the tool bar set to "Never" when this occurs? Are you saying that your cursor does not turn to a (+) and when you mouseDown click, that you don't get the Edit pin and the three lines?

Im not sure about the edit Pins.....but however I sicovered this morning that if I click on the Crop tool and then the Adjustment Brush it seems to release this restriction and then lets me place a new filter wherever I like. Again thanks for your help

Note in the image above the anchor pin is a black circle inside a white circle. This indicates the graduated filter is the active filter. It remains the active filter until you click {Done} on the tool bar, Click "New" on the local adjustment panel or click another local adjustment filter (your solution). When it is no longer the active filter, the anchor pin is indicated only by a white circle. Still with that explained, as long as your cursor is not on one of the three lines, the cursor should be showing as a (+), not as a (hand) or as a (double curved rotational arrow) and by clicking you should be able to set a new anchor pin. anywhere else on the image.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back