• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Filter doesn´t work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thunberg

Premium Classic Member
Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
When in grid view in LR 4 using the filter bar I can´t make the metadata filter work properly. After having selected a folder/collection I open the filter bar and click on the metadata label. No matter if I click on a special date in the proper column or a specific lense in the lense column all I get is a message saying " No photos match the filter." If I click on All at the top level in all four columns all photos are shown. I should add that the filter works perfectly well when I use the text or attribute filter. Also when I click on the arrow to the right of a keyword in the Keyword List the same message "No photos match the filter" is shown.
Is this an LR4 bug or am I doing something wrong? It used to work in LR 3. I´m on a Mac with OS 10.7.

Thunberg

I've just made it happen on LR4, 10.7 with the same response, but it was selecting a lens that wasn't in the collection before selecting the collection. After that, the metadata columns don't drop the data that was selected when you select in to them even if you click 'all' afterwards.

EDIT - I think it may be for if you select parameters to find a specific image and then click on the wrong collection it doesn't clear the parameters you have selected.

I'm not seeing any difference between the two versions. Thunberg, could you post a screenshot of the filter panel and main window when it's showing the 'No photos match the filter' problem?

Jim
Screenshot Metadata Filter 1 shows the All view with seven photos in a collection. Nothing wrong here. In Screenshot Metadata Filter 2 I want to filter just the two shots from 2009-09-19 so I clicked on that date. Result: No photos match the filter. But I know they are there! The same happens if I choose one of the two cameras or lenses.

Metadata filter 1.jpgMetadata filter 2.jpg

Odd...it all works perfectly normally for me. What OS are you running (filling out your profile info would be useful)?

And you say that clicking on the right-arrow in the keyword list also produces the same thing?

Jim
Yes, it´s odd. And even more so now. I was just about to send a reply to your question when I decided to check it one more time (have been doing this for hours now lately). And SURPRISE - it worked. I clicked on a right-arrow in the keyword list and the photos appeared. Then went on using the filter bar changing between different presets, and it worked! Until suddenly after a few minutes it all went black/grey again. I can´t figure out what I might have done when changing between the different presets. I guess I´ll just have to continue working with that frustrating filter bar until I realize what is wrong/what I´m doing wrong. Thanks for your help so far. LR 4 is a great app - when it works!
Thunberg

Sounds like something's not quite right. You could try resetting the preferences file, I guess....

I just tried moving the preferences file, but it hasn´t changed a bit. Would it perhaps be worth-while uninstalling LR4 and then reinstall?

Thunberg

It wouldn't hurt, though it's possibly more likely to be a catalog upgrade issue. How did you convert the LR3 catalog to LR4....did you simply allow LR4 to upgrade it (which is what I did), or did you do an Import from Catalog as some others did?

The thing is, I haven't seen this listed as a new LR4 problem as yet, so I'm more inclined towards it being a specific issue on your system. I'll keep checking though, and it would be good to hear if anybody else has the same issue.

I upgraded from my LR4 Beta catalog. The problem with the filter bar was also an issue in the Beta version of LR4, but I had hoped the problem would disappear with the upgrade. Perhaps a little naive.
Thunberg

I'm not sure what else to suggest. Maybe creating a new clean catalog, import a few dozen images and see if the filter bar works properly there.

It wouldn't hurt, though it's possibly more likely to be a catalog upgrade issue. How did you convert the LR3 catalog to LR4....did you simply allow LR4 to upgrade it (which is what I did), or did you do an Import from Catalog as some others did?

The thing is, I haven't seen this listed as a new LR4 problem as yet, so I'm more inclined towards it being a specific issue on your system. I'll keep checking though, and it would be good to hear if anybody else has the same issue.

Jim
It seems you were absolutely right about the catalog being the problem. I have now tried to upgrade to LR4 from a backup of a LR3 catalog and everything works just fine. There must have been something buggy (can you say that?) in my LR4 Beta catalog right from the start. Thanks a lot for your good advice. Now I - along with a whole lot of other LR4 users - only need to have the "edit in"- ability work. But apparently that´s a problem for Adobe´s engineers to solve.

Thunberg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back