• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Files with the Copy name of "Sync"

Status
Not open for further replies.

clee01l

Lightroom Guru
Premium Classic Member
Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic V9.x
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.14 Mojave
When looking at older images in the "All Synced Photographs"Special Collection, I have come across duplicate files (not virtual Copies) The File will have the same name but one of the files will have the CopyName of "Sync" These are originals in Lightroom Classic and are stored in different (though similarly named) folders. I'm not sure how these got into my Classic catalog and file system or how they were given the copy name of "Sync".
Does any one have any ideas? I have attempted to deal on the Mac with Classic exclusively, although I did dabble with Lightroom (cloudy) when it was first released. After I opted for the 1TB Photography plan and started using an iPad Pro, I selected about 8000 of my best images in Classic and Sent them into the Cloud these should have been Smart DNGs in the cloud and it is possible that the files with the CopyName "Sync" existed when I selected ~8000. of my best images for the cloud.
I am unsure what to do with these duplicates. Any advice is appreciated.

When you say they're stored differently, how are they stored?

In researching the problem to answer your question (below), I discovered where the "Sync" Copy Name is coming from. Whenever I synchronize a folder, I have a metadata Preset that is showing up in the default Import panel. It adds "Sync" to the CopyName Field. It also is supposed to be checking for Duplicates but is somehow ignoring the other master image in another cataloged folder with the identical name.
I think my problem is now to identify duplicate cataloged image files.
An Example: The Master with no Copy name: /LaCie6TB⁩ / ⁨Archive⁩ / ⁨2007⁩ / ⁨2007-4q⁩
The Master with "Sync" as a Copy Name: /‎⁨LaCie6TB⁩/⁨Archive⁩ / ⁨PreZ7⁩ / ⁨2007⁩ / ⁨11⁩
The Master with no Copy name: ‎⁨LaCie6TB⁩ / ⁨Archive⁩ / ⁨2009⁩ / ⁨01January⁩
The 2nd Master with "Sync" as a Copy Name: ‎⁨/LaCie6TB⁩ / ⁨Archive⁩ /⁨PreZ7⁩ / ⁨2009⁩ / ⁨01⁩
Sometime around April and after I got my new Nikon, I created the folder "/PreZ7" and moved older folders under this folder using the LR folder panel.

Another oddity that I see is that I have two folders on the file system:
/‎⁨LaCie6TB⁩ / ⁨Archive⁩ / ⁨2009⁩ / ⁨01January⁩ and ‎⁨/LaCie6TB⁩ / ⁨Archive⁩ / ⁨2009⁩ / ⁨01
as well as /LaCie6TB⁩ / ⁨Archive⁩ / ⁨2007⁩ / ⁨01 and /LaCie6TB⁩ / ⁨Archive⁩ / ⁨2007⁩ / ⁨2007-4q⁩

Out of a cataloged image inventory of 20646 images, 479 are Masters with a copy name of "Sync". Over 300 are in my Sync'd Photographs in the cloud (All 479 could have been there before I started selectively removing mediocre images from the Cloud.)

I'm going to open some backup catalog files to see if I can identify when the "Sync" copy name first occurred. It is quite possible that I added that copy name and forgot about or why I did it. I had a lot of bad Primary HD problems with my 27" iMac in early 2018. Ultimately I abandoned the 27" iMac for a 21" iMac and did a restore to get the data back on the new Mac Primary drive. But this in no way affected the EHD named "LaCie6TB". where most of these "Sync" copy named files reside.

Great detective work!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back