Files formar usb3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

ruloes

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
First, sorry for mu English.
Now, i'm using lightroom in my iMAC with western digital usb3.0 but i've
got issues because sometimes i'm using with Windows.
I've formated in HFTS+ with register. It'S right? Or it's better fat32, NTFS,...
I Want use with lightroom with my vídeos and images.
Thanks

Welcome to the forum.
If you have USB storage devices that are to be shared between both OS X and Windows, these devices need to be formatted as FAT32. or exFAT. The filesystem HFS+ is to be used exclusively by OS X computers and the filesystem NTFS is exclusive to Windows operating system. Devices that are formatted as NTFS can only be owned by one computer at a time due to the security constraints placed by NTFS.

I hope this answers your question.

If you are more comfortable in another Common European language there is some help available.

I would disagree that this option is very practical, exFAT will only work with relatively new systems and FAT32 is extremely limiting particularly for video clips (4GB file size limit).
I would suggest rather just downloading a small utility off the internet that allows your Windows system to both read and write to an HFS+ formatted drive.
I actually use a utility that does the opposite (allows my Mac to read and write to a NTFS-formatted drive).
Either way there are dozens of these small utilities available on the internet for free.

HFSExplorer is arguably a good free optionHFSExplorer 0.21
Paragon makes a good utility as well (this one costs about $10.00):Products

This search took about a minute - there are LOTS more options.

Tony Jay

Last edited:
Unless you have files over 4 GigaBytes, I would go with FAT32. HFS+ is from OS8 and mostly used (but not exclusively with some utilities) by PowerPC I think.

Here is a very nice reply form Andrew Greimann commenting on MacWorld on Oct 12nd 2015:

Andrew Greimann said:
Outside of said firmware update or another special usage, you shouldn't *need* FAT16 anymore. Everything, including OS X, is geared to use FAT32, and for sharing general files, use it with Windows, Linux, Solaris, Haiku, or whatever you use. With gnu utilities on a Linux-based OS, this will be called 'vfat'. Use mkfs.vfat to format on there. On OS X, use diskutil combined with the Disk Utility. I'll explain all this in a bit, but first:

- FAT32 is the recommended choice. Every major system supports it, and it is very easy to use. Be aware there is no journaling, and files can go corrupt, and that there are limits (no files over 4 GB, as one example), so if you're looking

- As for exFAT, it is a second (more modern) option. Both FreeBSD and several flavors of Linux support it using FUSE, OS X supports it (I think from Lion on; maybe late Snow Leopard?), and everything past Vista SP1+ should support it. That said, it is a second option, though not as widely supported as FAT32/vfat is or was.

- NTFS is another option as Windows, most modern gnu/Linux systems, Solaris, Haiku, and others support it... but just be aware OS X does not like using NTFS without installing FUSE yourself.

- Or, if you don't mind the extra work... you could use HFS+ or ext3/4 with limitations, if you *really* prefer your Mac or penguin box over Windows for compatibility reasons, such as not wanting to lose permissions, etc. like you would on the other, non-*nix formats (HFS+ was originally from Mac OS 8, adapted for Mac OS X). Like NTFS on OS X, HFS+ volumes on gnu/Linux can be mounted, used, and setup (with hfstools), but they will be write protected by default. You can override that with the -rw option in mount. Windows with third-party tools supports HFS partitions as well. As for ext3/4, you will need FUSE on OS X, and Linux will of course support it natively. DiskInternals' free tool Linux Reader will allow you to browse ext partitions, but unlike with HFS+, don't expect to write to them.

And now, as for your final concern I promised to cover, Disk Utility did get rid of the archaic fat16 format as an option; as I first mentioned, mostly everything has evolved to vfat/32. But you do NOT need Windows to make a fat16 volume; it's just a bit harder here. Open Disk Utility, and ensure your flash drive has the MBR table, not GUID/gpt. Then, select the root of your drive (the top not indented), and click Get Info. Note /dev/disk3 for example. Now Unmount it (Cmd+U). You'll then need to open Terminal, and become root; use 'sudo -s' and type your password (no chars will appear; press return when done). Then, do: newfs_msdos -F 16 /dev/disk3s1, if your disk was "disk3" and your partition was "1". You may get warned; press q to quit. If the previous command does not work for you, try doing something like: diskutil partitiondisk /dev/disk3 1 MBRFormat "MS-DOS FAT16" "" 1G instead.

Otherwise, you can do sudo mkdosfs -F 16 /dev/sdb1, for example, if you have the tools for FAT installed on your gnu/Linux or BSD box, and that should do it.

Last edited:
Thanks for your Quickly answers.
I think with lightroom i using and my iOS el capitán it'S Necessary use hfs+ or not???
But i've been working with several issues. For instance, western digital my passport USB3.0 eject automatic and i dont know WHy???
I used TUXERA with problems and now PARAGON !!!!
Windows with MACDRIVE and no issues, WHy???
Help???
Thanks again.

Thanks for your Quickly answers.
I think with lightroom i using and my iOS el capitán it'S Necessary use hfs+ or not???
But i've been working with several issues. For instance, western digital my passport USB3.0 eject automatic and i dont know WHy???
I used TUXERA with problems and now PARAGON !!!!
Windows with MACDRIVE and no issues, WHy???
Help???
Thanks again.
That is not true.
I run Lightroom on my MBP with the OS updated to El Capitan.
I actually use the Tuxera app that makes NTFS-formatted drives interact with the MBP.
All the external drives that I use with Lightroom, holding both images and catalog, are on NTFS-formatted drives,
The system is seamless - so seamless in fact that I forgot which app I was using and have had to go back into my system to dig around to figure which one I was using.
The Tuxera app was initially installed in 2013.

Tony Jay

Yep, that's the one I use also.

Use 'Disk Utility' in the Utilities folder of your Application folder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back