Files folders catalogues and backups.

Status
Not open for further replies.

35Milly

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
6.x
Hi, I am new to LR and this is my first post here so please excuse any silly questions!

I have read Lightroom Queen's ebook guide which was a good starter and have picked up the basics but I am still struggling to match it to my setup.
Just to set the scene I keep my photos on a NAS RAID1 drive which I occasionally backup to another network hard drive. LR also backs up the Catalogues thereand the other bits and pieces as well using the TPG LR Backup plugin.

So when I import I use ADD not COPY, but that does not allow me to alter the file names as I do. Is that right? If so will I have to batch alter them after, some way?
I have noticed inspecting some of my trial imports that the the parent folder file count and content includes the photos in its sub-folders, is that normal, it seems a bit confusing to me!
As mentioned I am using my NAS for backup and I have checked and the files are there, however if I check in LR it says the Catalogue is backed up to my local drive. It was the first time but not for the subsequent 5 times!

Thanks for helping

OK after a little Googling I have found some answers.

1. Renaming can be done in the Library as well as the Import and Exporting modules, all using the Template Editor.
2. Windows also includes the sub-folders in its count of files, but it doesn't 'show' them, so why does LR?
3. Still don't understand this, could it be a small bug?

Peter

Peter, welcome to the forum. Sorry we missed your first post.

Re #2, there's an option in the Library menu to "Show Photos is Subfolders", if you uncheck it it will then only show actual numbers in each folder, the numbers in any sub-folders are not included against the parent folder.

Re #3, I'm not following. Where in Lightroom does it show you where your catalog is backed up to? If you're referring to the Catalog Settings>General Tab, that shows you the name and location of the actual catalog in use, not the backup catalog (it tells you when the catalog was last backed up, but does not tell you where it was backed up to).

Thanks Jim for your reply.
Re #2. Yes that switch did exactly what I wanted, the count and content is now as per each folder.
Re #3. Yes I see. I thought I had chosen the Network drive for LRs working files as well as the backups.

Still so much to learn !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back