• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Import File transfers from Lightroom Classic CC to LR Classic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Limekeyman

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Operating System:Mac OS 10.11.6 El Capitan
Exact Lightroom Version (Help menu > System Info): Lightroom version: CC 2015.14 [ 1149743 ]

Hi all,

I'm a beginner with LR and have got myself into a pickle.
Just got back from a two week trip in Cuba, where I was using my new MacBook Pro and Lightroom Classic CC [1156743] to upload and process images.

Back home I'm using an older MacPro (Early 2008), which will not run Lightroom Classic CC (Adobe Lightroom Classic [1156743]), so I use the Lightroom version: CC 2015.14 [ 1149743 ].

When I imported all my two weeks of images, all my flags and ratings did not transfer, nor did any of the.xmp files, so I'm back at square one with all these images.

Is there any way to get this info from the newer version of LR into my older version?

Would appreciate any help with this issue.

Thanks.

Hi and welcome!

So, steps that should work (and apologies if you've tried this, but if so come back with what you've done so far):

- on the Classic CC machine, write all changes to XMP files (you mention these didn't transfer, please explain what you did)
- copy the files to the 2015.14 machine
- import

If the images are already in the 2015.14 machine then of course you can't import - in which case copy the XMP files just created into the same folder as the images on the older machine, select the files you want to update in Grid view, then Metadata - Read Metadata from files (you could try on one to start)

This should then update based on the XMP file(s)

Tell us what you may already have tried on the above / try it and we'll see if we can't advise further!

Paul

Metadata in XMP will only transfer if you have actually written those metadata to XMP in the first place. This may sound obvious, but Lightroom does not do this by default. You must either turn on this option in the preferences, or you have to do it manually by selecting all the images and choosing 'Metadata - Save metadata to files'.

You are right that you are looking at XMP files, though. Lightroom CC2015 can't read a Lightroom Classic catalog, so XMP is the only way to bring accross those metadata and edits that both understand. Just remember that edits that were newly introduced in Lightroom Classic (range mask) won't come accross at all.

Hi and welcome!

So, steps that should work (and apologies if you've tried this, but if so come back with what you've done so far):

- on the Classic CC machine, write all changes to XMP files (you mention these didn't transfer, please explain what you did)
- import

If the images are already in the 2015.14 machine then of course you can't import - in which case copy the XMP files just created into the same folder as the images on the older machine, select the files you want to update in Grid view, then Metadata - Read Metadata from files (you could try on one to start)

Tell us what you may already have tried on the above / try it and we'll see if we can't advise further!

Paul

Thanks for the quick reply Paul. I have not tried that, so will do (will have to be tomorrow morning unfortunately) and will get back with any further questions and or results.

Cheers

Metadata in XMP will only transfer if you have actually written those metadata to XMP in the first place. This may sound obvious, but Lightroom does not do this by default. You must either turn on this option in the preferences, or you have to do it manually by selecting all the images and choosing 'Metadata - Save metadata to files'.

You are right that you are looking at XMP files, though. Lightroom CC2015 can't read a Lightroom Classic catalog, so XMP is the only way to bring accross those metadata and edits that both understand. Just remember that edits that were newly introduced in Lightroom Classic (range mask) won't come accross at all.

Thanks Johan,
Not sure that I've set all those preferences up on the Laptop, so will have to check. Thanks for your input though, will get back with how this works.

Thanks
and Cheers

Hi and welcome!

- import

Paul
Hi Paul,

sorry for the delayed response, a truckload of work has tied me up for days.

I checked LR on both Macs, both are checked to Automatically write changes to XMP (in Catalogue settings)

Initially, I uploaded the folders from the Ext Drive they were on (from the Laptop), into my Photo folder on my Int HD on the desktop This included all the .xmp files. I then linked to that folder in LR on the desktop. None of my flagged or Selects showed up.

Then I tried as Johan Elzenga (above) suggested and manually on the Desktop, chose 'Metadata - Save metadata to files'. Still nothing.

Then I tried your suggestion, and on the laptop I selected all the images in one folder in the Grid View and under Metadata <Save Metadata to file>

I then deleted the folder/files from LR on the desktop, and re-imported them through LR Import Photos/Video. Still nothing.
Then I selected all the images in one folder in the Grid View (on Desktop) and under Metadata <Read Metadata from files>. Still no flags or Selects showing.

Thanks

Thanks Johan,
Not sure that I've set all those preferences up on the Laptop, so will have to check. Thanks for your input though, will get back with how this works.

Thanks
and Cheers

Hi Johan,

sorry for the delayed response, a truckload of work has tied me up for days.

I checked LR on both Macs, both are checked to Automatically write changes to XMP (in Catalogue settings)

Initially, I uploaded the folders from the Ext Drive they were on (from the Laptop), into my Photo folder on my Int HD on the desktop This included all the .xmp files. I then linked to that folder in LR on the desktop. None of my flagged or Selects showed up.

Then I tried as you suggested and manually on the Desktop, chose 'Metadata - Save metadata to files'. Still nothing.

Then I tried Paul McFarlane suggestion, and on the laptop I selected all the images in one folder in the Grid View and under Metadata <Save Metadata to file>

I then deleted the folder/files from LR on the desktop, and re-imported them through LR Import Photos/Video. Still nothing.
Then I selected all the images in one folder in the Grid View (on Desktop) and under Metadata <Read Metadata from files>. Still no flags or Selects showing.

Thanks

AFAIK, flags are not written to XMP. I don't know what 'selects' means. Everything else (keywords, edits) is written to XMP and that was what I was referring to. That you can use to 'downgrade' from Classic to CC2015.

So a couple of questions:

- you said ratings aren't transferred - I'm assuming you mean star ratings by this? And they are starred on one machine but when you read on the other they aren't? (these do transfer in XMP, as do color ratings)
- on the desktop (the one we're expecting to see the ratings from the Laptop) can you right click on one of the images and Show in Finder - just tell us the date / time stamp on the raw file and the XMP? Even post a screenshot here?
- while Finder is showing the XMP, can you open it in a text editor (don't save it after) and look for the line 'xmp:Rating="5"' (5 = however many stars you gave it)
- do you happen to use PhotoMechanic at all?

(if by rating you didn't mean start rating, then I suggest, as this works, to set a specific image on the Laptop to 5*, then write metadata for that specific file, take the resultant XMP, check the line I mentioned in it, copy to the Desktop to the folder with the raw in, read metadata and le t us know what it did (or didn't) do)

There will be a reason! Please post the results and we'll be able to assist further I'm sure

Paul

AFAIK, flags are not written to XMP. I don't know what 'selects' means. Everything else (keywords, edits) is written to XMP and that was what I was referring to. That you can use to 'downgrade' from Classic to CC2015.

Thanks again Johan,
I should have said "Starred" not Selects.
Really all I need are the flagged and Starred images to show up as such, but you are correct the older version will not read the newer Library.

I'm guessing that I should just continue processing these images on the laptop, before I move them over into my older version. Curious as to what I'd lose with that process.

- you said ratings aren't transferred - I'm assuming you mean star ratings by this? And they are starred on one machine but when you read on the other they aren't? (these do transfer in XMP, as do color ratings)
- on the desktop (the one we're expecting to see the ratings from the Laptop) can you right click on one of the images and Show in Finder - just tell us the date / time stamp on the raw file and the XMP? Even post a screenshot here?
- while Finder is showing the XMP, can you open it in a text editor (don't save it after) and look for the line 'xmp:Rating="5"' (5 = however many stars you gave it)

(if by rating you didn't mean start rating, then I suggest, as this works, to set a specific image on the Laptop to 5*, then write metadata for that specific file, take the resultant XMP, check the line I mentioned in it, copy to the Desktop to the folder with the raw in, read metadata and le t us know what it did (or didn't) do)

There will be a reason! Please post the results and we'll be able to assist further I'm sure

Paul

Hi Paul,
Sorry, yes I mean Stars (and Flags also are missing).

the date time/stamps: DESKTOP:
On the NEF it reads the date it was shot on — File name/Feb 20, 2018 3:34pm
On the XMP it reads — File name/Mar 2, 2018 1:18pm which would be the date I (re) copied them all to the Desktop.

When I followed your suggestion re checking the Star rating in the XMP, I found that yes the rating is there on the Desktop machines.

In fact, I just noticed that now (today), all those Star ratings are now showing up on the desktop, so this is progress!

What I'm not seeing are the flagged images. The flags do not show up at all (or I'm not seeing them). This is only important because I did not process ALL the flagged images, just a few. I now want to find all those flagged images and process the ones I want to. ( My workflow: I flag; then filter to the flagged; process those I want to; then star — according to my preference/usage).

So I then come to maybe (hopefully) my last two questions:
1) Is there any way to find those flagged images on the Desktop machine?
2) Since the older version of LR (Desktop) will not read the newer Library, — when I copy them over, will I then lose all the history on the images processed in the newer version of LR (Laptop)?

Thanks for your patience.

Cheers

Paul

Hi Paul,
Sorry, yes I mean Stars (and Flags also are missing).

the date time/stamps: DESKTOP:
On the NEF it reads the date it was shot on — Feb 20, 2018 3:34pm
On the XMP it reads — Mar 2, 2018 1:18pm which would be the date I (re) copied them all to the Desktop.

So I then come to maybe (hopefully) my last two questions:
1) Is there any way to find those flagged images on the Desktop machine?
2) Since the older version of LR (Desktop) will not read the newer Library, — when I copy them over, will I then lose all the history on the images processed in the newer version of LR (Laptop)?
1: As said, flags are not saved in XMP, so don't use them if you want to transfer the images. Use a color label, for example.
2: Yes, you will lose the history. However, because you can (re)set a slider any time you want and in any order you want, the history in Lightroom is not very relevant anyway. It's not like Photoshop, where the order of doing things is very important.

1: As said, flags are not saved in XMP, so don't use them if you want to transfer the images. Use a color label, for example.
2: Yes, you will lose the history. However, because you can (re)set a slider any time you want and in any order you want, the history in Lightroom is not very relevant anyway. It's not like Photoshop, where the order of doing things is very important.

Much thanks Johan. Sorry, life is crazy at the moment, hence the delayed response.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back