File size and printing advice requested

Status
Not open for further replies.

TexasPilot

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Greetings From San Antonio:

I am in the process of compiling my first "photo" book using ranching images from around Texas. I will probably use Miller Labs.

This will be a 12" x 12" "lay flat" album style which will allow me 24" x 12" spreads across pages.

You advice about imaging sizing for clarity and crispness will be much appreciated.

Here is what I understand I should be doing.

The photo labs suggest 300 DPI for optimum printing.

I have an image, for example, that is 4354 x 4354 for a total of 18.9 MP. Using the 300 DPI standard, this image would retain clarity up to 14.5" by 14.5"

Is this correct thus far?

However, I have an image that I had to crop down to 4524 x 2262 that I would like to "spread" across two pages (24" x 12"). But using the 300 DPI as the standard it should not be submitted for printing more than 15" x 7.5"

Am I still on track?

If so, what would be the result if I tried to take the 4524 x 2262 and try to print it at 24" x 12"?

All advice and feedback is most welcome.

My primary camera is a Nikon D810.

Kindest Regards

Ed

Last edited:
Hi Ed,

With respect to the first example you are probably going to be OK.

With respect to the second example the answer is: it depends...
There is no cut and dry answer here.
Lightroom offers the option to uprez images.
That may work and it may not.
Also I frequently print images at much lower resolutions with excellent results.
It really does depend on the characteristics of the image and the expectations of the viewer.

As an extreme example I have printed some images that were relatively low resolution images shot with less that stellar lenses at A2 size or greater (in terms of your proposed printing job that is a huge print) that cause peoples jaws to drop in wonder!
However, the images looks a bit like a watercolour painting.
I also know that trying to do this with a bird portrait where micro-detail is everything is not going to work.

What you may need to do is to experiment. Do a single print of that image at the size you want it in the book on the same paper to be used in the book. If the print looks good in all respects then you are good to go. If not then maybe you will need to evaluate your choice of image.

I cannot stress enough that the answer to your question is not primarily one of numbers and mathematics but rather one of perception and aesthetics.

Tony Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back