• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

File size and export

Status
Not open for further replies.

bzh-comcast

Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic Subcription
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.13 High Sierra
I need help sizing a photo during the export process. I am trying to get several photos readied for digital competitions . The rules are that the file cannot exceed 1mg and should be sized to 1024px on the longest size and 120ppi. Once I have exported the photo size seems so small like 498kb. Would this be correct?

I need help sizing a photo during the export process. I am trying to get several photos readied for digital competitions . The rules are that the file cannot exceed 1mg and should be sized to 1024px on the longest size and 120ppi. Once I have exported the photo size seems so small like 498kb. Would this be correct?

A jpeg o 498kb (0.498mb) sounds about right. The rules of 1mg (or less) is to expedite the file transmission and for no other reason. The 1024px long edge requirement is for conformity with all other submissions. The 120 ppl is meaningless as pixels have no dimension that can be measured in inches. Digital display is controlled by the display monitor and is a factory setting. Determine by the resolution of the display screen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That seems about right. If you ever do this again and find that it exceeds the 1 MB size, simply reduce the quality. On my website and for competitions that ask for web-ready images, I export at 50% quality. Much smaller and no loss in quality.

If you ever do this again and find that it exceeds the 1 MB size, simply reduce the quality.
You can set an upper limit for the file size in the export panel, so it shouldn't ever exceed the specification.

You can set an upper limit for the file size in the export panel, so it shouldn't ever exceed the specification.
I was going to suggest that as well, but as I do not know if the reduction comes from resolution or IQ, I held off on mentioning it. I am assuming that it probably comes from the latter, but that is only an assumption.

--Ken

Yes, it adjusts the JPG quality setting to hit the desired file size target. The image size in pixels should remain at the specified level. The "resolution" in pixels-per-inch (PPI) is, of course, irrelevant.

Yes, it adjusts the JPG quality setting to hit the desired file size target. The image size in pixels should remain at the specified level. The "resolution" in pixels-per-inch (PPI) is, of course, irrelevant.
And care should be taken when setting these limits because it could reduce the quality level to a point where image clarity is compromised.

And care should be taken when setting these limits because it could reduce the quality level to a point where image clarity is compromised.
It is a bit of a mystery as to how much IQ is actually being sacrificed for size, and without running a few samples first, I would not want to rely on it if IQ is important. At least with the 0-100 Quality scale, you have control over what is happening. I still think that this is a must read before exporting as it is well written and has great examples - Jeffrey Friedl's Blog » An Analysis of Lightroom JPEG Export Quality Settings .

--Ken

It is a bit of a mystery as to how much IQ is actually being sacrificed for size, and without running a few samples first, I would not want to rely on it if IQ is important. At least with the 0-100 Quality scale, you have control over what is happening. I still think that this is a must read before exporting as it is well written and has great examples - Jeffrey Friedl's Blog » An Analysis of Lightroom JPEG Export Quality Settings .

--Ken

Jeffrie’s article is a great source of information. From that I deduced to. Never use a value lower than 60.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back